baranigirl

Letter from DLA

Hope this is in the right place lol

Today we received a letter from the DLA who started reviewing our application in February from the original claim made last October!

They are writing to DP's GP, what can we expect from this? His GP is aware of where we are at and he has put in for his referral and agrees with a dx of AS, but there are limited records of anything of DP as he never goes to the GP unless it is terminal (which of course anything is with him but you know what I mean, I have to drag him there)

My SIL had her application refused for my nephew who is ADHD and currently awaiting an assessment for ASD or AS, I have told her to ask for a review as her son cannot be left unatrtended at all, however the school wrote saying he had no problems, yet he pulls his hair out and bites inanimate objects all the time, but isn't a disctraction to the rest of the class and he reading is soo high up the scale!

So 2 questions please xx

Hi

I am not sure I can help with regards to your husbands,except that at least they are looking into it if they havent refused yet it is a good sign and if the GP is aware of the problems then he should confirm what is on the application-it wont matter how often he has been to the GP they will only ask about what you are claming in the application.

As for your nephew,definatley think she needs to appeal the decision,he may be fine at school and hard work/challenging at home(which is where the money will be used.) Based on the fact he has a dx of ADHD I cant see why they refused it.Did she get help with the forms?Maybe she needs to word things differently and explain what it is like at home on the worst day.

I was fortunate,both the school and the paed supported my application,I didnt get help with the forms and it took just 5 weeks from applying to recieving my DLA.So worth percervering.

thank you, I have suggested she contacts peeps for getting the wording right too as that was my mistake as well in the first instance

He is on meds for ADHD and without them he is off the wall! Will pass on the info to her

As for DP I wondered if it was worth contacting the GP ourselves as well? Although I attended all the appointments last autumn when everything was getting dx etc with the GP, so I know what was said and done etc.

It's normally recommended to discuss your DLA claim with your GP. Mine was very helpful and asked to see a copy of my application so he could back up what I said. He even phoned me to ask for my input when he was filling in his section.

its important to talk to the GP about it. some are really helpful like tally said, but they can also be incredibly unhelpful. the form sent out to the GP is very limited and if they fill it in giving minimal detail it is very misleading. a different doctor at my surgery filled mine in and this is the total of what he put on it -

medical conditions - asthma, possible AS (even thought i had full dx), depression. he ignored the hypermobility, agorophobia. IBS completely

then to the question 'what effects do these have' he wrote 'sometimes breathless during asthma attack' (i'd like to see an asthma attack when you dont get breathless!). thats all he put and the DLA people took that to mean that was the only effect of those conditions. i now have a letter on my medical records stating they're not to send any letters to anyone without my permission and that i expect to see all letters before they send them.

i had previously tried to discuss the DLA forms with my doctor, even bringing in a copy of the NAS aditional information sheets. her response was 'i dont need/want to know any of that'

its important to talk to the GP about it. some are really helpful like tally said, but they can also be incredibly unhelpful. the form sent out to the GP is very limited and if they fill it in giving minimal detail it is very misleading. a different doctor at my surgery filled mine in and this is the total of what he put on it -

medical conditions - asthma, possible AS (even thought i had full dx), depression. he ignored the hypermobility, agorophobia. IBS completely

then to the question 'what effects do these have' he wrote 'sometimes breathless during asthma attack' (i'd like to see an asthma attack when you dont get breathless!). thats all he put and the DLA people took that to mean that was the only effect of those conditions. i now have a letter on my medical records stating they're not to send any letters to anyone without my permission and that i expect to see all letters before they send them.

i had previously tried to discuss the DLA forms with my doctor, even bringing in a copy of the NAS aditional information sheets. her response was 'i dont need/want to know any of that'

i know someone who got higher rate mobility for his hypermobility syndrome. Your doctor is a idiot and i would change to a more AS friendly one asap if you can.