Sign in to follow this  
justine1

applying for secondary school

Hi everyone

I wanted to know if it is possible to approach a secondary school and put a childs name on a list? I know when the time comes I have to apply as normal through the LEA but I have found a perfect secondary school which is suitable for all my boys,its mainstream but has a perfect ASD base and its catholic which is important to me.Most of the catholic schools get so oversubscrbed I worry they wont get in.I know primary schools allow you to put a childs name from when they are babies,just wondered if secondary will allow me to at least put my eldest son name down as he will be 10 in October.

Thank you.

Hi everyone

I wanted to know if it is possible to approach a secondary school and put a childs name on a list? I know when the time comes I have to apply as normal through the LEA but I have found a perfect secondary school which is suitable for all my boys,its mainstream but has a perfect ASD base and its catholic which is important to me.Most of the catholic schools get so oversubscrbed I worry they wont get in.I know primary schools allow you to put a childs name from when they are babies,just wondered if secondary will allow me to at least put my eldest son name down as he will be 10 in October.

Thank you.

Hi.Secondary Schools do not usually have lists.Catholic schools do often have their own admission policies and criteria though.It would be worth asking the specific school for their admissions policy and criteria so that you know what they are.If you are not catholic or have not had your children baptised at least then you can consider whether there is anything you could do to increase your children's chances of qualifying [such as converting or attending church more often].I do not really approve but know enough people who do. :lol:

Karen.

Hi.Secondary Schools do not usually have lists.Catholic schools do often have their own admission policies and criteria though.It would be worth asking the specific school for their admissions policy and criteria so that you know what they are.If you are not catholic or have not had your children baptised at least then you can consider whether there is anything you could do to increase your children's chances of qualifying [such as converting or attending church more often].I do not really approve but know enough people who do. :lol:

Karen.

Thanks Karen :) Three of my boys are baptised,my baby has not been because we have moved so much iin the past two years havent had the time but he has three years to start primary school so no prob there.My eldest baptism cert is lost and finding it hard to get a new one as he was baptised abroad but he did go to a catholic school for 3 years.I also need to attend church,will be easier now the weather is warmer, and my eldest needs to do his first communion,which again meant to be done last June but due to moving hasnt been done.

Thanks again.

I wanted to know if it is possible to approach a secondary school and put a childs name on a list?

Unfortunately no- unless it's an independent fee paying school. Otherwise you have to apply at the usual time along with everyone else via the normal admissions process. Such schools, even if they are self governing, (e.g. foundation, voluntary aided or Academies) have to abide by the Admissions Code and that means no jumping ahead of the queue is allowed. If you apply and are unsuccessful, your child can go on a waiting list then, but not before.

I know primary schools allow you to put a childs name from when they are babies,

No this is a myth - unless it's an independent fee paying school, the same applies. You can only apply to a primary school the year before the child is due to start, along with everyone else, via the normal admission process coordinated by the LA.

As Karen has said, Catholic schools, like all maintained schools, will have their own admission criteria, often called the "oversubscription criteria". All schools, even faith schools, must take any child whose parents apply, as long as there are places available, so these criteria only come into play when there are more applicants than places.

These criteria say which children will be admitted in which order - in effect they are tie breakers. All schools give priority to children in care, most put siblings high on the list, and most have distance from the school as a criterion. But faith schools are allowed to set their own additional faith- based criteria, eg. baptism, weekly attendance at church, participation in specific church activities, (these can apply to parents as well as children), attendance at a named Catholic primary school, etc.

Its imprortant to find out as soon as possible what the oversubscription criteria are for the school you want, then you will know which of them you meet and therefore what sort of chance you have of getting your child in. If you can find out now that you need to fulfil certain requirements, such as church involvement, to push your child higher up the priority list, you can start now to get that sorted and to get any supporting evidence you need to submit. You can also assess your chances realistically and prepare for possible disappointment by looking around at other options.

You can find the school's admission criteria in the composite prospectus which is issued by the LA every September. This gives details of all maintained schools in the county, including admission statistics for the previous year, so you can see how many applications were made, how many pupils were admitted in year 7, and how many children got in under which rule. You should be able to find this online via your LA website, and your local library would probably have this year's copy - but bear in mind the criteria can change a bit from year to year.

Hope this helps,

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Thank you so much Kathryn that is indeed very helpful :thumbs:

Just to add the catholic primary where we used to live and indeed the school where my boys are now do allow you to put a childs name down from age 2,though as mentioned you stilll need to apply the usual way but more likely to get priority.The catholic schools usually keep families in one school, so I like the idea that all my children will eventually go to the same school,although things change and I may not wish to send them all there.

I am busy looking into special needs schools for Sam to start in Sept so thought I may as well start looking at secondary schools for Josh at the same time,so when they go back I can start phoning and viewing.

Thank you so very much >:D<<'>