kerryt84

Sensory issues

I have just moved house, which was pretty stressful, and I am finding I am not coping very well.

My sensory issues have gone through the roof and I just want to know what I can actually do to improve it.

The main problem I have is the kitchen. It is very small and I always feel too cramped in there which stresses me out before I even start. Whenever I do anything in there I get overwhelmed by the smells, space and touching things. It is getting to the stage where I end up in tears every time I'm in there. I think it does have a bit to do with my OCD, but I do believe it is mostly my sensory issues.

Is there anything that can be done to improve sensory issues? Anyone I can ask my GP to be referred to?

Thanks everyone

Hiya I know this sounds a bit daft but would having a large mirror or mirror tiles help in the kitchen as they can sometimes make a small room seem bigger. Also if it's not already a light colour that can add to some of the feeling of it being small. Thats all I can think of at the moment, hope you feel happier there soon x x

Hiya I know this sounds a bit daft but would having a large mirror or mirror tiles help in the kitchen as they can sometimes make a small room seem bigger. Also if it's not already a light colour that can add to some of the feeling of it being small. Thats all I can think of at the moment, hope you feel happier there soon x x

Thanks for your suggestions. I could put up mirror tiles but it is not really the fact it looks small, it's more that I can't move without bumping into something and always can't open cupboard doors properly etc. It is already painted cream too. Also the smells and touching things are more of a problem.

Hi Kerry,

Would it help to remove some of the cupboard doors for a while, just until you get used to where everything is. I know how frustrating it can be when I reorganise my kitchen.

Can you be more specific about what you don't like to touch, is it anything specific like texture?

Not sure what you can do about smells, at least the weather is getting better so you can hopefully open the windows more. Can you find a smell you like and try and mask the others?

Hope that helps

Lynn

i'm moving with my parents and brother soon nearer town as parents feel time to move on as lived in this house since we were born and my sister was 2 she now 27 so that how long we lived here as a family my sister now has her own rented house with her lil girl ( my 5 year old neice) she moved around alot different situations that arised had more houses than us put together i think! lol i know i'm going to find hard change to get my head around feel hard to find good yet negative just feel so anxious confused and no one understands how tough change going to affect my head etc until i adapt how long will that be? don't know how i'm going to react whether i'll be stressed ,worried but am already my parents feel step they have to make and discussed it with us to see whether we agreed i said yes but now much more i think in their own way they know how it going to be and as my brother deafblind and has to map out a place where everything is in his head to begin with which don't take him long once you explained to him where objects have been put and placed but my struggles more emotional /mental internal really! positive step with my family after losing my nan ( my mum's mum) my mum feels time to make fresh start somewhere new just feel one change after another inside makes you boil stir up all kinds of emotions and feelings .......

XKLX

I would play your favourite music whilst doing stuff in the kitchen and sing along......you need distracting and singing will help your breathing also.Keep stuff items on the work surfaces to a minimum.....no clutter...a nice flowery plant or flowers by the window , try the window open a little for some fresh air .Have you looked at colours in the kitchen and lighting , maybe these are affecting you also.Try doing as much positive stuff in there as you can.Have some familiar stuff from your old house around and maybe some nice photos of family/friends or landscapes postcards stuck onto a couple of the cupboard doors.It will get better in time, remember moving is stressful bigtime so your doing well :thumbs:

Hi Kerry,

Would it help to remove some of the cupboard doors for a while, just until you get used to where everything is. I know how frustrating it can be when I reorganise my kitchen.

Can you be more specific about what you don't like to touch, is it anything specific like texture?

Not sure what you can do about smells, at least the weather is getting better so you can hopefully open the windows more. Can you find a smell you like and try and mask the others?

Hope that helps

Lynn

It's a good idea removing the cupboard doors, but I think seeing everything would stress me out. I like everything hidden away. I don't like touching anything really, lol. My hands are very sensitive and in the kitchen it stresses me out to touch most things with my hands. I was diagnosed with something called aquagenic pruritus which means I suffer severe discomfort whenever my hands come into contact with anything water based (so basically any liquid). I was told it was not a classic case though as it only happens on my hands and feet and no treatments have helped. This has led me to believe it is more of a sensory issue. I have to wear latex gloves when cooking, cleaning, doing the washing etc. But even the gloves leave a horrible feeling on my hands and sometimes they split or water leaks in which causes me a lot of discomfort.

With smells, I seem to smell things that others don't. Even with the windows open it is the same. I find air fresheners etc. too overpowering. It is the same with my hearing, I hear things that others don't. I hate hearing people eat and often have to leave the room. It's all just causing so much disruption and stress and I want to know if there is any way I can improve it.

I would play your favourite music whilst doing stuff in the kitchen and sing along......you need distracting and singing will help your breathing also.Keep stuff items on the work surfaces to a minimum.....no clutter...a nice flowery plant or flowers by the window , try the window open a little for some fresh air .Have you looked at colours in the kitchen and lighting , maybe these are affecting you also.Try doing as much positive stuff in there as you can.Have some familiar stuff from your old house around and maybe some nice photos of family/friends or landscapes postcards stuck onto a couple of the cupboard doors.It will get better in time, remember moving is stressful bigtime so your doing well :thumbs:

These are some great ideas Suze, unfortunately I've already tried most of them and they have helped but not enough. I do always listen to music in the kitchen, and that does help a bit. I hate clutter so there is none of that. I keep the window open. I don't have too much choice in colours in the kitchen as it is a rented house so I'm not allowed to change anything.

The problem is that my sensory issues have generally got worse over the past few years. I feel I have tried to help it myself and am not getting anywhere. That's why I wanted to know if there was anyone I could be referred to who could help.

From a 'treatment' point of view the one I would suggest is auditory integration therapy. And there are two ways you could ask for a referal - or you could pay for it privately.

The Community Occupational Therapist may have been trained in auditory integration therapy - or maybe able to meet you at home to see if there is anything that can be done in the kitchen environment or some sensory diet exercises for yourself or relaxation techniques etc. You would need a referal from your GP for that and you would also need to ask the waiting time.

Do you have a diagnosis of sensory integration disorder or difficulties?? If so and there is no-one able to treat you then you could ask your GP to support you in asking for a referal to a private clinic that takes NHS patients. The Sound and Light Centre in London is such a place. Your GP would need to ask the PCT to fund the treatment. The Sound and Light Centre are on the internet. They can be contacted and they maybe able to help you in applying for this to be funded.

Thirdly you could pay as a patient at the Sound and Light Centre or contact someone who gives auditory integration therapy. I have been told by several professionals that the Johannsen method is a good one to use as well.

A further alternative would be to think if you could convert one of your other rooms into your kitchen. For example, if you have two reception rooms downstairs, or one large one, could part of that be turned into a bigger more open kitchen. You could keep your old small kitchen as the utility room and put the washing machine, dryer etc in there. Obviously that costs money to do it. If you have a problem with smells then putting a kitchen in your only reception room may not be a good idea. But if you have a separate dining room, then that might be changed. Or would you be able to build a small extension on the back to make your kitchen bigger?

The only positive of alterations is that you change it to exactly what you want. But you will be living with builders etc fro some time etc. And you need to consider if you could cope with that.

I would definately talk with your GP - or any other professionals that are in touch with you. As this is affecting your dailing living skills eg. cooking. You maybe able to get help with that via the social services assessment and direct payments route.

Finally you might need to consider moving house if you just cannot cope. Write down a list of what you definately need to have in your house and prioritise your needs and wishes.

With a lot your saying I have to recommend you see Ian Joradanx

As for the latex gloves you could replace them with non latex gloves, did you know many people are actually sensitive to Latex tooo, I know Boots do Non latex gloves and there a really nice feel to them.

As for the OCD have you recieved any therapies, CBT or other behavioural therapies, I know there is another therapy sounds something like Linguistic or something.

Look at techneques to RELAX, because been tence and anxious will cause the OCD and sensory issues to be worse due to the high levels of cortisol and adrenalin in the body.

So meditation, or guided meditation, I would usually recommend something like reflexology or SPorts remedial massage but you may not like the toutch but it would really benefit your whole being if you could start with small areas, such as the shoulders, then back, then neck, massage is highly effective as it releases the FEEL FANTASTIC hormones.

I would request an Occupational Therapist Assessment for the home as they may have ideas to look at how you access your Kitchen coupards and there is grants avilable such as Disability Facitilies Grants.

As for the Air Fresheners I am the same, they are far too overpowering but I do use Aromatherapy, do you have any complimentary therapy shops that maybe sell Aromatherapy room sprays that are not overpowering.

I also recommend herbal therapy, such as Valerian, its been brilliant in our household.

Do you attend any support groups for OCD and ASD they may have further ideas too.

I would also write a letter to your Landord and explain to him the colours in the Kitchen are causing you discomfort and if you could paint them a better colour, and say you will pay for the Paint I have a rented accomadation and you are allowed to painT/decorate the interior of the house.

Have you got any support from say a social worker or Disability Team who could also help you further?

JsMumxxx

Thank you very much Sally44 and JsMum, your comments gave me a lot to think about.

I have just written a letter to someone in Herts mental health team who assessed me about a month ago (I was trying to get a diagnosis for aspergers and they have since referred me on to someone else for further testing but said if I need any support with my difficulties to contact her). I explained my sensory issues and made it clear that it is causing a lot of problems in my day-to-day living. I mentioned some of the options you suggested and asked what help is available and what she would suggest so I will let you know what she says.

I do believe I have sensory integration disorder, but don't have a diagnosis as I have never explored this. Would I need to have a diagnosis to get any treatment? Who would give a diagnosis? I was on a waiting list for CBT while at uni to help with my OCD but when I left uni I was taken off the waiting list and because my symptoms had improved because I was at home again I didn't re-apply. I'm sure this would help, but I feel I would need something else also. It is becoming out of control, so hopefully the lady I'm writing to will be able to help. I will also try out some of the other things you have suggested and see if they help.

Thank you very much Sally44 and JsMum, your comments gave me a lot to think about.

I have just written a letter to someone in Herts mental health team who assessed me about a month ago (I was trying to get a diagnosis for aspergers and they have since referred me on to someone else for further testing but said if I need any support with my difficulties to contact her). I explained my sensory issues and made it clear that it is causing a lot of problems in my day-to-day living. I mentioned some of the options you suggested and asked what help is available and what she would suggest so I will let you know what she says.

I do believe I have sensory integration disorder, but don't have a diagnosis as I have never explored this. Would I need to have a diagnosis to get any treatment? Who would give a diagnosis? I was on a waiting list for CBT while at uni to help with my OCD but when I left uni I was taken off the waiting list and because my symptoms had improved because I was at home again I didn't re-apply. I'm sure this would help, but I feel I would need something else also. It is becoming out of control, so hopefully the lady I'm writing to will be able to help. I will also try out some of the other things you have suggested and see if they help.

I can recommend this site it is very supportive to people with a range of mental health disorders, they are not exclusively ASD but many suffers of OCD do have AS so they will understand some As needs.

http://www.nopanic.org.uk/

I would defo recommend a full assessment of AS from your GP and also state that you are looking into SID too, there is a proposal that the diagnostic criteria of Autism/AS be changed to Autistic Spectrum Disorder which will include SENSORY disorders too, as many people on the ASD have sensory issues.

I recommend NAS for further advise for the DX and the route for you to go.

Defo go back on the waiting list for OCD therapies via your Doctor.

I am sure no panic can advise you further for health teatment via your doctor.

JsMumxxx

I have sensory issues myself, so know what a misery they can be, but I wonder if some of your feelings are being made worse by leftover stress from moving house. I've had to move house quite a lot of times because of my work - these have been happy and positive moves, but each time it has taken me over a year to get over the stress! Sometimes that stress can get itself focused on one particular practicality of the new situation so that we come to hate it. Being aware that stress can do funny things like this can help us to distinguish between the real problem, and the mountain it can turn into when stress is added to the mixture. By all means do all you can to get on top of the sensory stuff, but hopefully the stress will gradually evaporate as you get over the experience of the move itself.

Talking of sensory issues, my wife and I (both AS with sensory issues) bought a house in France a year ago. We loved it when we first saw it, but struggled to breathe when we went inside. When we finally got the keys, the first thing we did was to go through the house (lounge and kitchen downstairs, two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs), opening all the windows. Then we took a bin bag and rounded up the air fresheners left round the house- do you know how many we found? 17! We wondered whether the last owner had been trying to cover up the smell of a dead body hidden away somewhere!!!

All the best - I hope things will settle down for you soon.

Hi again everyone,

A little update and rather a disappointing one at that. Unfortunately I have not heard anything from the lady that I sent the letter to. I feel really let down, misunderstood and insignificant. I made it very clear what a big problem it is and that I can't cope. It is making me feel even more depressed because I have asked for help and have not heard anything back, which makes me think that they don't give a damn. I am a teacher and if a child asked me for help and explained they couldn't cope I would do something about it straight away. I know there are waiting lists and all sorts in the NHS but some acknowledgement would have been nice. Sorry about my rant, but I really thought they would have cared.

Kerry