Honey-pie

Help me understand ....

After four years or so in the system K has recently been diagnosed with ASD with a possible language disorder which they are looking into. I asked out Paed if she meant that K was autistic and she said not but has ASD.

On speaking to a friend (whose child is autistic with other underlying problems) she said that autisum and ASD is the same thing. Am I being pinickity or is she right? BTW I am not ashamed of any diagnosis that K has. I am very very proud of her and she is my beautiful girl who I have been blessed with. :thumbs:

Any advice please?

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Autism is generally used as an abbreviation of Autistic Spectrum Disorder. But maybe they mean that your daughter is on the autstic spectrum but they don't think it is "classic" autism, but some other type of ASD such as Asperger Syndrome or perhaps something that doesn't neatly fit the criteria.

Or they might have been picking up your use of language. Some people prefer to use 'person first' language such as "my daughter has autism," to make it clear that the daughter and the autism are two separate things. Saying, "my daughter is autistic" suggests that the autism cannot be separated from the daughter. It gets a bit silly in my opinion, especially since autism is, by definition, all pervasive. It makes more sense with illnesses like depression or diabetes, where a person is not defined by the illness.

Other than that, I can't imagine what they might be on about. You might have to ask exactly what your daughter's diagnosis is, and then you can decide what to call it.

Thanks Tally - I just want to know so I can try and understand K. She is a beautiful little girl who is fabulous but if you put her in her class you notice she is different. She copes with school well in fact she loves it so much I cannot describe to you. She has changed so much over the years - which is great as we are able to break routines she may have and she does not get too upset. The school is fab and they are referring her back to the Partnership Review Group to be considered for a statement. I was afraid of that word 'statement' many years ago but I would welcome any help we could get.

T x

Edited by Honey-pie

My son has Aspergers and our paed said it IS autism.She gave loads of leaflets which explain all about autism and the whole spectrum.So it would have been useful if your paed gave you this info so you can get a clear picture.

Good luck with the statementing,we going through the process now,its long and gruelling :rolleyes:

Thanks Justine. Just been speaking to my husband and think I am going to get back in touch with Paed and get her to explain what she actually means! Mmm the statement I hear will be an interesting chapter of our life! LOL

Autism is part of the 'autistic spectrum' so yes she is autistic.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Autism is generally used as an abbreviation of Autistic Spectrum Disorder. But maybe they mean that your daughter is on the autstic spectrum but they don't think it is "classic" autism, but some other type of ASD such as Asperger Syndrome or perhaps something that doesn't neatly fit the criteria.

Or they might have been picking up your use of language. Some people prefer to use 'person first' language such as "my daughter has autism," to make it clear that the daughter and the autism are two separate things. Saying, "my daughter is autistic" suggests that the autism cannot be separated from the daughter. It gets a bit silly in my opinion, especially since autism is, by definition, all pervasive. It makes more sense with illnesses like depression or diabetes, where a person is not defined by the illness.

Other than that, I can't imagine what they might be on about. You might have to ask exactly what your daughter's diagnosis is, and then you can decide what to call it.

totally agree with you there Tally :thumbs: