Fragster

Dx confusion

Hi all,

L recieved his dx in feb at a mam, when the minutes came through I didn't really pay that much attention to what she had dx him with as she had said that she felt he fit with a dx of Aspergers syndrome and did everyone agree, to which everyone said yes.

However, since then I have paid attention and she has diagnosed him with

Aspergers AND high functioning autism.

Now my understanding when I read this what they are so similar that there is still disagreement between healthcare proffesionals as to if they are different and if they are which dx fits which individual. So the "consultant paediatric physcologist" had put them both down.

My step mum however is adamant that there is a great difference between the two and that he has two dx for two different sets of issues which may in places overlap.

Please could anybody give me their thoughts on this and if anyone else has or knows someone with these two dx together.

Thanks

x

We had a similar post to this the other day, only I can't find it now.

Asperger Syndrome is part of the autistic spectrum. HFA used to be used to mean someone at the higher functioning end of "classic" autism, but it is now sometimes being used to mean the higher functioning end of the entire autistic spectrum, including Asperger's.

The difference between Asperger's and classic autism is to do with early childhood speech development. Once speech develops, there can be very little difference between a person with Asperger's and HFA anyway.

Recently, there has been talk of doing away with the diagnosis Asperger Syndrome altogether, and calling it all autism.

Hi

The post Tally mentions is under General Discussion,half way down Topic title "Help me Understand"

This will answer all your questions.

I have found the post - thank you both again. It did help a little, although I always thought L speech was delayed but he was talking at age 2 but was under observation until he was 3 and a half I think. He never did actually have a SALT involved early on. I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as he gets the support he needs, they could call it anything x

To summaries my sons diagnoses it says "High Functioning Autism, presenting as Asperger's Syndrome"

The explanation is it would be Aspergers but his history does not fit the criteria.

It isn't clear and it is confusing. Have you asked them 'why' the dual wording??

As already said children with Aspergers tend to have typical language development at least up to age 3. However I have heard of children with aspergers also diagnosed with a language or speech disorder. And ASD covers the whole autistic spectrum. Those with Aspergers are again usually okay academically - however they can have co-morbid difficulties such as dyspraxia, dyslexia etc. Those with autism or being on the autistic spectrum (excluding Aspegers) usually are more likely to have both speech disorders and learning difficulties which may be general lower cognitive ability, or maybe a specific learning difficulty again it can be associated with dyspraxia or dyslexia.

So my son has a diagnosis of an ASD and semantic pragmatic speech disorder (which kind of points more towards Aspergers). He did speak as a child with 2-3 word combinations at age 3. Then he started repeating alot of DVD and TV dialogue and that is echolalia. Then he used that 'learnt' speech from DVDs/TV into his own speech. So his speech is now advanced in some areas, but he talks with an American accent and uses alot of words/phases that are learnt from TV.

I think you just need some time to 'observe' your own child and get a better idea of where you think he is on the spectrum. I think my own son does sit on the fence and straddle the two areas of Aspergers and autistic spectrum disorder.