Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Walking into doorframes??

Hi

Does anyone have experience of this?Sam started this over the easter break he has walked into the doorframe numerous times.Also two days ago he was running up and down the passage then he went into the sitting room and walked into the door(which was open) got up and hit his head on the doorframe and again on the corner of the tv stand,he has a huge lump now.I dont know whats going on?It seems he hasnt got any balance anymore???So confused :unsure:

All the time! Door handles have it in for me, my arms are always covered in bruises from them, belt loops get caught on them too :lol: I swear doorframes move into my pathway when I don't realise :fight:

is he having a growth spurt? it takes a while for your brain to catch up with changing body size/shape which is why teenage boys are always so uncoordinated and awkward. K shot up 4cm recently (!) and spent a good couple of weeks falling over, bumping into things and generally bashing herself on anything she had to go through/around.

Everyone knows that door-frames move when our backs are turned. And the doors change sides. And the handles change the angle they stick out at. Doors are in some pact with the fridge over the light - you know, the one that pretends to go out when you shut the door, but actually goes back on when you're not looking so the tomatoes can throw a fridge party.... :ph34r::wacko:

More seriously, as this is a new thing it would be more likely to rule out proprioceptive difficulties. If he hasn't had a growth spurt to explain things, it might be worth checking it out with the GP if it continues. Has he had an eye test?

He did seem to shoot up about two weeks ago,which would actually fit in with when this started,this never happened with my eldest so never thought there was a connection!!Thanks for that.

I was thinking of his eye sight mumble thank you.He normally has excellen eyesight but the other day I saw him struggling to see far distances.So it may be this as well,definatley worth getting his eyes seen.His older brother had glasses for 6 mths,he also needs an appt so will get them done at the same time.

I would say just keep an eye on it. It might be a visual perceptual problem, or a sensory one (visual perceptual is also sensory as well). He might have problems with 2D/3D vision, midline problems which affect how the 'distance' of something appears etc. Does he have good binocular vision??