Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

BBC program on face recognition

Interesting subject. I find with AS, I actually have extremely good facial recognition, I just don't register emotions. I can see some obscure actor in a film for example, and generally I will be able to tell you every other film I have seen him/her in. Show me anything more complicated than a big cheesy grin however, and I am at a complete loss, I just won't notice it unless there are a lot of other queues and even then I will struggle to narrow it down to a specific emotion. I usually only notice something is wrong when people have been quiet for a long time ect.

Interestingly my Partner who doesn't have AS has terrible facial regonition. She often struggles to place faces she has seen and people she has only briefly met.

Zen

One of our family friends has problems with facial recognition. He finds it very hard to recognise people from their face. He says that he is usually well into a conversation with them before he realises who they are. He isn't on the spectrum. But I would say he has some traits. He has 3 children, all have dyslexia, and one has OCD as well. So, I think these difficulties are all associated in some way.

I wonder if facial recognition (ie. visual perception), is also the same as emotional recognition?? Both require visual processing of information, but is the information they are trying to access from different areas of the brain??