Sign in to follow this  
NickyB

Carer's Allowance Saga

Hi all :)

OK, now I'm getting really angry :angry:

I sent in my proof of income to the Carer's Allowance office 3 weeks ago. They have stopped my payments while they work out whether I'm still entitled (which I clearly am to anyone who looks at my income figures). I called them after a week or so to be told that 'it won't take long' in a less than convincing tone!!

I called them again today because they now owe me over £200 and I have bills to pay. The woman said the case had been sent to the 'decision makers' (sounds like something out of Big Brother :lol:) and they will write to me when they have made their decision. I asked again how long it would take and she said 'I don't know'.

I am hopping mad that they can be so vague when it comes to a benefit which is for low-income families. I have just written a letter of complaint but I have discovered that they have 10 days to reply, which will mean at least another £100 will go unpaid.

Once the election is over, I will be getting in touch with my MP!!

Anyone else had this problem?

Right, rant over - I'm off to work (although I don't know why I bother! :o)

Nicky x

I thought carer's allowance was for caring for someone on certain benefits for over 35 hours a week rather than a low income family?

Surely they will back date it if they agree in your favour?

I thought carer's allowance was for caring for someone on certain benefits for over 35 hours a week rather than a low income family?

You can get it if you caring for a child and you recieve middle rate or higher DLA for the child,being on a low income is also what they look at.I havent applied because apparently if you study full time you dont qualify,so I lose out :(

You can get it if you caring for a child and you recieve middle rate or higher DLA for the child,being on a low income is also what they look at.I havent applied because apparently if you study full time you dont qualify,so I lose out :(

Thats what I meant lol, looking at the direct.gov site it states caring for over 35 hours a week (which you would be for a child) and claiming a variety of benefits (them) as in DLA higher / middle rate etc.

Funnily enough our DLA refusal says something about claiming carers allowance instead of DLA on that am off the ring the DWP to clarify why we are refused and what they mean about carers lol

Hi :)

It's for the main carer if they care for the person for over 35 hours a week and they earn less than £95 a week. I'm sure they will backdate but as it's awarded on the basis of a low income, I am a bit miffed that they can stop it suddenly. It's a lot of money to lose, even if it is temporary.

>:D<<'>

Edited by NickyB

The incredibly small amount people get paid on carers allowence is criminal in my view. They punish people for being a carer really. If someone spends most of their week caring and then manages to squeeze in a few hours of work were they make a couple of hundred quid, I don't see the problem. Forcing carers to live on a maximum (assuming they can squeeze in some work) of £150 a week is just disgusting. Many are forced to live just on the benefit alone if they have no time to work, so what £220 per month or something?

Zen

wow thats shocking, I had no idea it was means tested, I thought if you cared for someone and met the qualifing bits n bobs you got it regardless of your income!

No wonder my SIL was refused it (although she was on ESA higher rate herself at the time she was caring for her very sick mother)

I've just put in a claim for this.

I get incapacity benefit, so I was told I might not get anything.

Is it on a sliding scale ie. if you earn a certain amount you get part of the carers allowance??

Another thing worth mentioning is that carers allowance covers the state pension payments as well.

But what I find really annoying about all these benefits, is that no-one tells you about them. You have to 'discover' them yourself.

I've also just claimed for council tax benefit. They intially turned me down, but they had not taken into account my son's disability (which was the thing that made it worth applying for in the first place!). So I've written in a letter explaining that and sending in his DLA award. When I phoned them before sending in the claim they said not to bother sending in the DLA because it is not taken into account as 'income'. And they also said that my son's DLA award payments would be picked up off the bank statements I had to send in. Well that obviously didn't happen.

Is it on a sliding scale ie. if you earn a certain amount you get part of the carers allowance??

Hi Sally. No, it's fixed, so you either get the full amount or nothing. You are right about having to find out for yourself - I missed out on 2 years worth of CA because I didn't know about it.

I was told at the job centre that you receive the whole amount(if you qualify)then your other benefits will be reduced accordingly,I am on Income Supprt so they said this would be reduced but the overall amount I receive each week will be more than what I get now,by about £30 extra,so they said it is worthwhile applying anyway.

Edited by justine1