womble

Transition without a statement

My son is leaving school this year, he is 16 and has a diagnosis of Aspergers. He is on School Action + and has a 1:1 in school, has dropped GCSE subjects so he can have free lessons to do his GCSE subjects with less stress, and is going to further ed college in september to do a BTEC in Art.

School have said he doesn't have tansition planning because he has no statement. He was diagnosed last July after years of problems and exclusions.

Do i really have to find out how he gets support myself and how he gets to college?

Anyone have any ideas or experience of this. I live in North Wales.[/size]

Connexions workers can help with this if you ask. They can do a 139a (a form stating the help a child will need at college) for any child that has SEN (my son was not even on the SEN Register at secondary). I did have to organise some extra meetings with the SEN Dept at the college myself, but it was worth it.

Connexions workers can help with this if you ask. They can do a 139a (a form stating the help a child will need at college) for any child that has SEN (my son was not even on the SEN Register at secondary). I did have to organise some extra meetings with the SEN Dept at the college myself, but it was worth it.

Hiya

We dont have Connexions in Wales. We have careers Wales whose brief is very reduced compared to Connexions. I will look at the 139a thing though and thank you for that. I will arrange to meet with the college learning support too. Again thanks...Judy

Edited by womble