Sign in to follow this  
Carrera74

LEA's response to SENDIST appeal

Well they are opposing…surprise surprise!!

I am appealing against part 2, 3 and 4 of the statement.

The LEA say they are satisfied that part 2 accurately describes my DS’s needs as identified from the advice then available and that part 3 sets out the provision required to meet those needs. They said they will review it in the light of any new evidence which is presented.

When I filled in the original appeal form I sent 2 pages of information which stated what I wanted adding/amending or taking out. I only used the advices that was part of the statement process and also referred to the ADOS/SALT/OT/EP etc etc that we have got after the original statement. Is this not the new evidence they should use?

They are also saying the school they have named is a suitable school but indications are that the placement has broken down so they will look for a placement at an alternative county special school.

On my original form I said I didn’t know what school I wanted but the type I wanted – a special school experienced in teaching children with complex ASD and associated BESD needs. Again the County feel that my son’s needs can be met at their named school.

My son’s case goes to County Moderation Panel next week and I have asked the SEN officer what school do they have in mind for him now – no reply as yet. When I met the SEN officer at the last urgent review he asked me what school I wanted and I named 2 independent schools which I feel would be perfect for him. He said at that meeting that he didn’t think County would go all the way to appeal. Well they are!

We have a Disagreement Resolution meeting in 2 weeks time where I guess we will discuss all this and in the meantime DS is sat at home with only 2 hours a week home education support from school.

I need to get through to IPSEA as I have a feeling the LEA are going to run rings around me again :( I have been trying but have had no luck at all.

I have no experience to offer you, but you could try ringing Parentlineplus for advise.

I doubt they are as experienced as IPSEA, but they do have a 24/7 phone line and online chat thingy on their web site so you can at least get through to someone.

Well they are opposing…surprise surprise!!

I am appealing against part 2, 3 and 4 of the statement.

The LEA say they are satisfied that part 2 accurately describes my DS’s needs as identified from the advice then available and that part 3 sets out the provision required to meet those needs. They said they will review it in the light of any new evidence which is presented.

When I filled in the original appeal form I sent 2 pages of information which stated what I wanted adding/amending or taking out. I only used the advices that was part of the statement process and also referred to the ADOS/SALT/OT/EP etc etc that we have got after the original statement. Is this not the new evidence they should use?

They are also saying the school they have named is a suitable school but indications are that the placement has broken down so they will look for a placement at an alternative county special school.

On my original form I said I didn’t know what school I wanted but the type I wanted – a special school experienced in teaching children with complex ASD and associated BESD needs. Again the County feel that my son’s needs can be met at their named school.

My son’s case goes to County Moderation Panel next week and I have asked the SEN officer what school do they have in mind for him now – no reply as yet. When I met the SEN officer at the last urgent review he asked me what school I wanted and I named 2 independent schools which I feel would be perfect for him. He said at that meeting that he didn’t think County would go all the way to appeal. Well they are!

We have a Disagreement Resolution meeting in 2 weeks time where I guess we will discuss all this and in the meantime DS is sat at home with only 2 hours a week home education support from school.

I need to get through to IPSEA as I have a feeling the LEA are going to run rings around me again :( I have been trying but have had no luck at all.

Regarding getting through to IPSEA, they say that the best way is to phone them repeatedly if they are engaged so that you get through as soon as the previous call finishes. They assured me that they are not engaged all day long (which is how it appears), and that I should set aside an hour and just keep pressing re-dial to get through.

Are you phoning IPSEAs tribunal helpline?

Yes I am. I sat for 40 minutes pressing redial the other day. I work full time so really struggled to find an office to use and took my lunch break early. I think I am going to need to take a days leave so I can sit pressing redial!

The county moderation panel sat yesterday and I am waiting to hear what school they are going to name on DS's statement. The disagreement resolution meeting has been put back to 5 July as the HT at the school he has on his statement currently couldn't attend next week and the LEA aren't available til July. I had hoped he would have been in a suitable school before they broke for the Summer holidays :( He has been out of school for 3 months now and he is getting further and further behind.

We had decided to wait until the outcome of these 2 meetings before going ahead with an independant EP assessment but it looks as though we will need one afterall. Just hope I can get this in place sooner rather than later.

We went to visit another independant school yesterday too. It's was classed as a BESD school but has an ASD unit attached to it and the classification has now been changed to ASD provision with children who have assoicated BESD/learning difficulties. It's perfect (and also very expensive!).

Just off to write to my new MP. Worth a shot as they last MP round here ignored me!! Grrrrr. So glad it's Friday, roll on hometime and wine time!!

Yes we had a look but felt really rushed round. We only saw a bit of the school and although I liked it, DH didn't think it was the right peer group for DS.

I was just thinking that it may have been a cheaper alternative than the priory one for the LEA as they are going on about how short of cash they are at the moment and that the LEA may have gone for it. Mind you they will prob try to get out of any independent provision atm.

Yes they're definately not going to name an independant without a fight. They are suggesting 2 local MLD schools which they have never mentioned to me before. I've questioned why they have changed their view that a BESD school is no longer suitable but a MLD school is. My parent partnership officer said they usually only change this sort of thing if an EP suggests it. The EP didn't mention it to me either at the urgent review. I have requested an earlier tribunal date as DS is at home. I received an email yesterday from LEA asking for availability in July. Looks like it's full steam ahead :(