Sign in to follow this  
Tally

My weekend with my cousin

My cousin Connie, aged 10, came to stay for the weekend.

We visited the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archeology. I can't remember who suggested it, but what a fantastic suggestion it was! It was a real old-fashioned museum with everything in glass cabinets, with little type-written tags telling you who discovered it and where and things. There are little drawer under the cabinets with even more things to see hidden away in there. Connie is doing a school project on the Ancient Egyptians, and especially likes the jewellery. There were lots of displays of necklaces and beads and things, and she was like a pig in poo! I showed her how to turn my camera on, and within 10 minutes she could work it better than I can, and she took literally hundreds of photos for her school project, including one of an amazingly well-preserved head. One of the staff came and spoke to us and showed us how to read heiroglyphs. He gave us a document he'd written about a piece that Connie was particularly interested in. It was mostly really complicated, but it had a couple of good photos and a translation of what was written on it, so that was quite interesting.

We went to Coram's Fields for lunch. It was really nice there and we had a little paddle in the fountain. We rescued a little girl who had lost her mummy. The child had managed to get all the way to the opposite side of the park (we did not realise this until afterwards) and after a while I really did not know what to do and dialled 999. I'd just got through to the police when the mum turned up and started yelling at me. Another woman fortunately managed to calm the mum down because she'd overheard everything I'd said to the child, and could confirm that I was definitely not trying to kidnap the child. That bit was not so good, but it didn't spoil the day.

We went home via Buckingham Palace. Just as we were about to leave, some new guards came out and I realised it was going to be the changing of the guard, so we stayed to watch that. Just as the old guards started to march back inside, the new one collapsed and they had to swap back. The poor man had to dust himself off and do all that stamping and saluting stuff.

We wrote a postcard to our grandad.

Connie said thank you a lot and said she'd had a really nice time. I asked her if she'd like to come again and she looked really excited and said yes. I said we wouldn't go up to London every time, but she still said she'd like to come. I suggested Kew Gardens for another time and she said it sounded good.

So my weekend was a success. I am really worn out now, but it was completely worth it. Hopefully there won't be any lost children next time!

Tally

That's great!! I'm so pleased you both had a good time and she wants to come again. And Connie was my mum's name - not one you hear that often - but lovely!!

Stella xx