Sign in to follow this  
Shaunsmum

School holidays

Last week we were at the caravan and Shaun was great, came out of places we were when he was told his time was up with no tantrums (a massive change from last year). Now that we're home I'm finding him tearful over the slightest thing which is really unlike him, he is fighting with his middle brother more often than normal. We also noticed the same thing at the Christmas hols. Has anyone else experienced this. My mil thinks it's because he's not got his school routine but I don't know what I can do about that during the hols. Anyone any ideas please.

Anne-Marie xxx

It could be just litrately a Transition, a change from one enviroement to another, this can throw a child, and for some it becomes overwhelming, he is possibly exhautsted too, have you ever gone on a holiday, but need another holiday to get over the time and energy used whilst on holiday, its a double wammy, if he clearly tried to cope on holiday it just maybe that he cant keep it up and has let go a little bit, been with siblings also a lot longer is going to set up rivalries, is there any way of seperating them for short periods, give your son an area he can chill out and get his space, and bit of his own territory.

It sounds like he has done amazing while on holiday and he is just letting himself go a bit now he is home, a bit of time to adjust and get his bearing back he will hopefully settle, Im sure there is a set routine in place even though it is the holidays my own son still needs a structure, which is set out in visual format at home.

It could be change too, and he is just finding it too much.#

JsMumx

THanks Jsmum. He did do really well on holiday, it's my MIL's caravan so he's used to going there a lot throughout the summer holidays. I think after reading your post it could be a bit of everything you've said. I do have routines at home but only in what order things are done, we don't have our meals at the same time everyday and bathtime tomorrow could be half an hour later or earlier than it was tonight. I am a very un-organised person, I always have been and it never seemed to make a difference to Shaun but now he's going into is second year at primary school he may be noticing more that we don't do things at the same time. I do have a whiteboard hanging on my living room wall where I right what's happening that day and what order and we've noticed when he goes into my MIL he looks at her calander to see what she's doing so I'll try sticking to a routine this next week and see if it makes a difference. His older brother is out with friends a lot just now and the middle brother has been to the park a lot too so they do get space from each other, unless the weather is bad.

Thanks again

Anne-Marie xxx