Sign in to follow this  
Carrera74

Me again... dual placements - anyone any experience?

LEA want to name a MLD school with mainstream link. They haven't shared how they want to do this. I imagine they'll surprise me with it at Tribunal a week tomorrow :rolleyes: . MLD school say DS is too bright and we went to visit the mainstream school that we think the LEA will suggest. They said they think they would struggle with his behaviours that appear when he is stressed/anxious but said they would be more than happy to 'give it a go'. DS goes into year 9 in September. I don't want to 'give it a go'. He has missed so much and I want it right this time. I don't want to be in the same situation in 12 months time. The HT at the mainstream did wonder how it would work between the two schools. Has anyone any experience of this type of placement?

Hi, my son was in a mainstream secondary school but it just wasn't working so he started to go to a SEN school for one lesson-it was such a slow gradual process. First he just sat in the reception area, then he walked down the corridor, then to look at the chickens, then to sit in the class etc etc until he particiapted with the lesson and made my a book stand! He then stayed on role with the mainstream school but went full time in to the SEN's outreach group and is going to go to there 6th form in September.

An LSA use to meet me at the SEN school and I would drop my son off-it was very hard but I knew it was going to get better as the teachers at the SEN school just understood him so much more than the mainstream. The mainstream school wouldn't have let him just sit in reception until he was comfortable to go to the class.

It is so difficult-I know-but it was the best thing ever for my son-he is such a different boy!

LEA want to name a MLD school with mainstream link. They haven't shared how they want to do this. I imagine they'll surprise me with it at Tribunal a week tomorrow :rolleyes: . MLD school say DS is too bright and we went to visit the mainstream school that we think the LEA will suggest. They said they think they would struggle with his behaviours that appear when he is stressed/anxious but said they would be more than happy to 'give it a go'. DS goes into year 9 in September. I don't want to 'give it a go'. He has missed so much and I want it right this time. I don't want to be in the same situation in 12 months time. The HT at the mainstream did wonder how it would work between the two schools. Has anyone any experience of this type of placement?

Be cautious. It can be very stressful for a child to have to deal with two placements, two sets of rules, two levels of working, two lots of friends and teachers etc.

On a practical note, it can be difficult to ensure that if he starts a project on one day, that he will be at the school on the day they finish it off. If he wins an award, will he be there at assembly to pick it up? If he misses History and Geography at School A, will it fit that he will access it at School B etc...If he is told in class about an exciting trip, but he will be at the other school, will he be distraught?

Also, I think it is important for a child (and a parent) to have a sense of belonging to a school - it can feel like you are stuck in the middle, when there are two schools. If your DS makes any friends, will he feel happy about leaving them to go to the other school on the other days?

Also, do either of these schools have the necessary training/experience? How will they communicate if your DS is having problems? Is he not just as likely to be bored and therefore possibly have difficulties at the MLD school, even if he is there for only X days? Is he not just as likely to be stressed out at the mainstream for the reasons you say have already been expressed, if he is only there for y days?

I would write a list of all your DS's difficulties and what he needs in terms of staffing ratio/qualified, experienced staff, facilities e.g. sensory room, speech and language/OT/physio etc and then tick which schools can provide them.

The very best of luck/x

Edited by Grace

Dual placements can work - but it takes a lot of committment from both schools to make it work - you need to be sure that your child won't just fall between 2 schools and can cope with the move

DD1 had a dual placement

- with the 1st school it was complete rubbish - the head didn't want it and made no effort nor did the teachers who always managed to 'forget' about DD when it came to school trips, school play and other activities and made it feel that DD was a big burden on the school and a waste of their time

- second school it worked out very well due to eager deputy head who was completely committed to making it work and made inter-school coordination part of a TAs job description - it worked really well and really increased DDs confidence - DD has decided she wants to attend the mainstream school full time after the summer - we are a bit nervous as the deputy head has been headhutned for a new job

The SEN school were also instrumental - they allowed DD to take it easier there in the early days knowing that she was exhausted by the new experiences and sensory issues so in the early weeks they let her sleep on the sofa or do non stimulating activities such as reading while she got here bearings

Edited by puffin