mysterybowler

Hello. I'm very new to all of this.

Hello.

I am a 35 year old male who has just been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. My partner and I are having a difficult time adjusting to this. We have ordered a book called The complete guide to Aspergers Syndrome by Tony Attwood. This was recommended by the Psychiatrist who made the diagnosis. Has anyone else here read this book? Has anyone else here had a diagnosis later in their lives?

Hi mysterybowler and welcome to the Forum. :)

The complete guide to Aspergers syndrome is very popular and highly regarded.

Karen.

Hello.

I am a 35 year old male? Has anyone else here had a diagnosis later in their lives?

Hi Mystery Bowler and welcome.

There are few people who post on here that have had a late diagnosis. Maybe they will share there experiences with you. I'm 56years old and going for an assessment/ diagnosis at the Maudsley. I'm just waiting for the NHS funding to be agreed.

How do you feel now you have been diagnosed? Is it a load off your mind or do you feel angry?

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago, I am 28 now. I believed for a long while that I had AS, so getting it in writing was a relief, but was still something to come to terms with.

Your diagnosis does not mean you are a different person now. It just applies a label to things that have always applied to you. I think it can be hard for partners if they hoped they could "cure" their partner of their difficulties, to find out that they actually have an incurable condition and are never going to change. However, people with Asperger's can still learn new skills. Sometimes we have to go about things a different way, and a diagnosis can help in recognising that and finding new ways, so your diagnosis does not mean you are never going to learn any new skills.

I think the Tony Attwood book is very good. There is very little material about adults with AS, but this is one book that does have some useful information. I know that some people don't like it and I'm not sure of their reasons, but it's definitely a good place to start. Remember that most people with Asperger's don't have all the symptoms, so if you come across something that doesn't make any sense to you then it may just mean that it does not apply to you.

Hi,

I'm a 41/m who was diagnosed earlier this year. Nice to have the official seal of approval but still awaiting any news regarding appointments for treatment as well as an assessment for ADD, which, as I found at after having AS confirmed, is pretty common amongst aspies.

The only advice I can think of is to keep your fingers crossed that your healthcare trust/doctor/whomever work a little quicker than they seem to be doing here in sunny Salford - I think I'm roughly 30+ years too old for the majority of current AS practitioners. Read books, talk to other aspies, do whatever you can or feel comfortable doing; just don't neglect chasing-up on qualified medical assistance.

Personally, I'm cr*p with other peple so would tend to let my neuroses take over instead of properly listening to someone else's advice but, if you can do it, what harm could it do, really?

Anyway, good luck in the future.

Great - followed the link and now I understand!

I keep having what I can only call 'flashbacks'; sudden memories of things that have happened through my life that so clearly shout "AS!" that I can't believe I didn't spot them before.

It's certainly intriguing about the other psychs though......

Thanks for the welcome folks.

The only advice I can think of is to keep your fingers crossed that your healthcare trust/doctor/whomever work a little quicker than they seem to be doing here in sunny Salford - I think I'm roughly 30+ years too old for the majority of current AS practitioners. Read books, talk to other aspies, do whatever you can or feel comfortable doing; just don't neglect chasing-up on qualified medical assistance.

I've been lost in the system twice since I first saw my GP requesting an assessment. The Maudsley removed me from their waiting list on one occasion because my GP did not respond to a letter and now I've been told they have not responded to another letter re.funding. At this rate and in view of the economic climate, I might have to go private !

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support.

The Guide is proving to be helpful mainly in confirming what I already knew about myself. It makes sense in many ways, such as the coping strategies I have developed match those mentioned in the book (I have a really high IQ which has helped me develop such mechanisms) and things like sensory problems. I seem to require lots of visual and auditory stimulation most of the time and find taste, smell and textures difficult to the point of wanting to vomit. I am discovering new aspects every day that match up with who I am. My Partner and I are slowly getting used to this as things settle down.

Jannih - I feel a mixture of anger, anxiety, confusion and being really upset, but at the same time I have a feeling of relief that there is something I can attribute why I feel so different to other 'normal' people. That there is a reason why people think I'm weird. For most of my life I thought there was something I was just unable to get.

Tally - I feel that the diagnosis has changed my perception of who I am. I have been looking back through my past and things are beginning to make sense that were incredibly confusing and upseting at the time. I feel that I am changing the past from what I now know. I understand that the AS can be a label but it determines to a large degree how I interact and experience the world and from my experience, most people depend on labels.

Ma§h - Living in the Highlands, things seem to move quickly in the system and there is more of a communtiy feel (which can be good and bad). The only real problem is that there are no support networks for AS. At the moment I am doing what I can to learn about AS and this forum seems to be a good place to talk to other 'Aspies' (sorry I do not like this term. Am I the only one?). I have spent most of my life trying to better interact with people and I am better than I used to be. My problem is that I cannot maintain interactions and friendships very well and find that I get tired quickly with other people.

Blaise - I am confused. Have you posted in the wrong thread? Hello anyway :)

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome and I hope to get to know some people here and hopefully be able to offer some support to others.