Sign in to follow this  
allsetuk

council tax reduction

Hi , I just wondered what luck, if any people were getting with the council tax reduction for disabled children, I recently moved from one LA to another LA,the first offered me a reduction being a single parent as well as 25 % extra/reduced banding becuase of my ASD son, but the new LA has refused saying he doesnt have a wheelchair or special fixtures in the house. Its very confusing...They have also refused my request for a Carers need for assessment saying that becuase my son isnt statemented I dont fit the criteria.

The 25% reduction for single adult occupation is standard.

As far as discount for disabled, I have only ever heard of it being applied where a house is specially adapted for a disabled person, this may be wheelchair access, a second bathroom/wet-room or some other addition or adaptation that would be to cater for a specific requirement of the disabled person.

Edited by chris54

I have heard of an additional discount for certain disabled adults, but I know some councils are not very good at giving information about it. I have not heard of discounts for children.

I have heard of an additional discount for certain disabled adults, but I know some councils are not very good at giving information about it. I have not heard of discounts for children.

I think this is were a disabled adult is not included in the single adult occupancy calculation as they dont contribute financially to the household. There are other groups that also fall into this category, if you look hard enough at your council or the government web site you will find them.

Hi , I just wondered what luck, if any people were getting with the council tax reduction for disabled children, I recently moved from one LA to another LA,the first offered me a reduction being a single parent as well as 25 % extra/reduced banding becuase of my ASD son, but the new LA has refused saying he doesnt have a wheelchair or special fixtures in the house. Its very confusing...They have also refused my request for a Carers need for assessment saying that becuase my son isnt statemented I dont fit the criteria.

It really is about being on the right benefits and knowing how to fill in forms.

Does your son get Disability Living Allowance?

Is he diagnosed?

What type of school does he go to?

You can apply for carers allowance. I'm not sure if your child has to receive DLA, or has to have a diagnosis before you can apply. If you are eligible for carers allowance, you can then apply to your local authority for 'council tax benefit', which would mean a reduction in the council tax due to having a child with a disability. You can apply for council tax benefit, even if you earn too much to actually receive any carers allowance. So it is important to apply for carers allowance (even if you know you earn too much) because their letter saying you are 'eligible' is needed for access to council tax benefit.

Getting access to Social Services, or direct payments etc is difficult.

I don't know if a child has to have a Statement, I don't think they do. But you would need his school, or one of the professionals working with him, to complete a CAF referral to social services. That would be for your child. And you could ask how you get a carers assessment.

I do find this access to SS very frustrating, because it is not clear cut at all.

It might be worth phoning your local council and asking if they have an independent department, or know of an organisation, that will do independent benefits check to ensure you are receiving everything you are entitled to.

Edited by Sally44