Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Residence Standards

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any guidelines/laws regarding the basic provisions that anyone providing residential accommodation must provide?

I live full-time in student halls - there are 30 of us from the uni who for whatever reason are full-time residents and they've put us all together on one corridor. Our hall is very old and was due for demolition 3 years ago - and as a result they don't spend any money on it.

We get bed and breakfast accommodation but have to cook other meals ourselves. Our kitchen facilities (for 30 of us) consist of a room about 2 by 4 meters with a sink with no plug and a tap that only dribbles water (and that's the only drinking water we have access to), a hob and a broken microwave that takes 30 minutes to heat something which should take 5 minutes. We have no oven, no toaster, no other cooking appliances at all. The kettle doesn't work and the fridge has become a site of special scientific interest :sick: (I have my own, and my own kettle, in my room).

They claim not to provide full kitchen facilities because it's a catered residence (which is why they put me here as I'm not supposed to cook due to other medical issues - but that's another story and my choice is cook or starve) but it isn't catered during the 4 month summer break and the uni refectory is closed too as it's after the end of term.

It is simply not possible for 30 of us to self-cater using these facilities; I'm surviving on salad, pot-pastas and filling up when I eat out :eat::eat1: but that's not the point - I'm wondering if they are legally allowed to get away with this? Maybe they can because it's 'only' the summer (even though that is actually a third of the year)? :unsure: I was talking to another student this morning and she was saying that she's losing weight and needs to buy a belt to keep her trousers up now (she may have been exagerating!!) because she can't cook full meals, so I know it's not just me that is finding this a problem.

It sounds perfectly legal to me, as you are coming under B&B regs. I lived in worse when I was a student.

That's what I thought might be the case. Do B&B regulations mean they don't actually have to provide any cooking facilities (i.e. we're supposed to survive on our morning bowl of cereal all day?) :unsure:

If I was on holiday staying in a B&B then that would be fine as I would expect to eat out as I was on holiday and it would only be for a week or so, but this is mine and the other 29 students full time home. We are paying for student accommodation not B&B.

people often live in B&B accommodation and tbh yours sounds luxurious compared to what my friend and her one year old daughter had to live like just over a year ago as they were homeless (escaping a violent relationship)

I do understand how frustrating it must be for you

Okay, sorry I complained. Hope you're all enjoying your freshly cooked meals with fresh veg. My pot noodle and cold vegetables are delicious.

I don't know any of the legalities but it doesn't make sense that student halls comes under B&B regulations as with a B&B you are living in someone else's home which isn't the case with student halls?

Just because others live in worse conditions, doesn't negate the fact that your facilities don't meet your and the other residents needs so I hope someone can help - can you pull together a petition? or if the worst comes to the worst all club together and buy a new microwave etc?

Lynne

I also dont know the in's and out's of what is acceptable.But if the were going to demolish the building (or wing of the building)and now there are 30 people living there that doesnt seem right.

For the course I am doing they have various lodgings,I saw some of them and they look really spacious and clean,one is brand new.I would'nt expect alot from student accomadation but at the same time how do they expect you to learn in an environment that is unsuitable? :unsure:

Is there anyway you can try and talk to the housemates or create a petition and just slide it under their doors?

I'm not sure about the ins and outs of the legalities, but they are at least responsible for making sure that everything works! How is everyone else coping? :unsure:

Apologies for getting cross last night, no excuse I know, just under a lot of stress at the moment and having to have cold food again was a case of the last straw rather than something really terrible.

How is everyone else coping? :unsure:

Everyone complains, some to themselves/each other, some to the residence managers but nothing ever gets done. About half the students are trainee nurses and they eat at the hospital, they say the food's pretty awful but it's the better of two evils! Other people just do a mixture of what I do and take-aways, but it's not really conducive to a healthy lifestyle. :(

Has nobody bothered to put a complaint in writing? They will pretty much ignore it unless it is official and in writing :ph34r: They are expected to provide a minimum standard of living and I'm pretty sure that includes that all appliances/repairs are done, so even if you do have to fend for yourself at least they work.