Sign in to follow this  
timewarpbunny

Hello from a newbie!

Hi Everyone,

I actually joined the forum several months ago but this is my first post. I really look forward to getting to know you all.

My daughter Elodie is 4 years old. She was diagnosed with an ASD 14 months ago - probable aspergers.

She is a very funny and delightful little girl, super affectionate, however her speech and language skills are far behind and she only understands a minimal amount of what's being said to her. She also has the typical obsessional behaviour. It's been constantly Thomas the Tank Engine since she was tiny, but she moves between others for a few months at a time.

We've got a place on the NAS Earlybird Course starting in September which I hope will help, not only with Elodie but DH as well who according to our GP is definitely Aspergers too, but as he's coped quite well through life there's not a lot of point getting a diagnosis.

Jen Xx

Hi

Welcome to the group >:D<<'> I got four boys,SAM age 7(next week) has ASD/Aspergers diagnosed last December and Dan age 4 has ASD,was diagnosed last week, my other two are neurotypical aged 9 and 2.

This group is really brilliant :thumbs: I come on here for advice,especially with education and its great to vent our my frustrations :wacko:

Thanks for the welcome guys! It really does look like a good place to be for support.

I kind of feel like when Eli was diagnosed we were just told and left to get on with it.

As far as finding out DH was probably Aspergers, when Eli was diagnosed, I started to notice a lot of the symptoms matched DH. After our marriage reaching breaking point I took him to the doctors and the GP said yes, he thinks I'm right. I know that sounds very simplistic but it was after months of heartbreak and struggling that we got to that point. He's very typically aspergers, he struggles to understand other people's feelings, he's obsessional about cars, he doesn't read facial clues at all, he hates social gatherings and doesn't know how to react if people are angry or upset. Stress makes him anxious to the point of anger.... the list goes on!

Thanks for the welcome guys! It really does look like a good place to be for support.

I kind of feel like when Eli was diagnosed we were just told and left to get on with it.

As far as finding out DH was probably Aspergers, when Eli was diagnosed, I started to notice a lot of the symptoms matched DH. After our marriage reaching breaking point I took him to the doctors and the GP said yes, he thinks I'm right. I know that sounds very simplistic but it was after months of heartbreak and struggling that we got to that point. He's very typically aspergers, he struggles to understand other people's feelings, he's obsessional about cars, he doesn't read facial clues at all, he hates social gatherings and doesn't know how to react if people are angry or upset. Stress makes him anxious to the point of anger.... the list goes on!

see that sounds just like my other half, i even took him to his gp two years ago as i was convinced something wasnt right as in ADHD or similar, i could have written that myself about him!! perhaps i should take him to see a different doctor as the one he saw is pretty naff to be honest on every subject, trouble is hes at a different surgery to me. i have spent years wondering why he doesnt react when i get upset or cry or angry ~(its not just me its everyone tho), even silly things like if a complaint needs making bout anything i have to do it as he even finds it difficult speaking on the phone to strangers let alone actually having to face them or a group of relatively unknown people etc.. i have always said he only has two emotions and one is anger and the other is acting void of any emotion, he really does try (maybe because i have spent years talking him through how to respond when someone shows and emotion he doesnt deal well with etc) but it has been a real struggle! in my case any arguement we have ever had over the nine years we have been together he will just either go into himself and say nothing or just be really angry, he has huge issues giving eye contact too i have noticed that for years but just thought he was shy, but in his job he has to meet people driving his lorry (but in hindsight he has the same run everynight so its the same people etc...) what do you think i should do, i have asked him if perhaps both of us could be looked into for aspergers as our daughter is in the process etc.. and we have a younger child too. he has agreed but will "choose" to forget until i mention it again... he has no issues from his past that could be bothering how he is now etc...

sorry for long post im just finding out all about this !

Hi Everyone,

I actually joined the forum several months ago but this is my first post. I really look forward to getting to know you all.

My daughter Elodie is 4 years old. She was diagnosed with an ASD 14 months ago - probable aspergers.

She is a very funny and delightful little girl, super affectionate, however her speech and language skills are far behind and she only understands a minimal amount of what's being said to her. She also has the typical obsessional behaviour. It's been constantly Thomas the Tank Engine since she was tiny, but she moves between others for a few months at a time.

We've got a place on the NAS Earlybird Course starting in September which I hope will help, not only with Elodie but DH as well who according to our GP is definitely Aspergers too, but as he's coped quite well through life there's not a lot of point getting a diagnosis.

Jen Xx

hello,i too am quite new . ive got a daughter who is 3.5 who was diagnosed a few months ago.she sounds very similar to your daughter,we tooare doing the early bird course in september,im feeling a mixture of dread and looking forward to some help and support xx

Hi there,

I'm quite new too, and my little girl was 4 in march, she sounds just like your daughter, but mine also has very strict routines, and finds it difficult if they change (like the way we walk to school).

I've signed up to the HELP! course with the NAS (one day one) with a view to going on the early bird one after (i wasnt able to commit to all 6 weeks in september because of annual leave at work).

I'm hoping that the course will help me to learn coping techniques for me, hubby and Jenna, as recently i have been refered to counseling via my GP and put on a low dose antidepressant because of tension headaches and generally feeling helpless when it comes to her not coping and not understanding situations and instructions.

Sorry have rambled on a bit.

xxx