anxious-soul

Problems with family acceptance of my Asperger's

Hi all

As I have mentioned in previous posts I recently found out that it was Asperger's syndrome which was causing all of my anxiety regarding social sittuations. I have felt this a huge relief as it explains my life basicly and feel it has been off great benifit to find out. Since finding out I have become a lot more open with friends and family regarding the things I do such as the routines i follow, unusual interests and genrally what makes me feel anxious. My problem is that family members now think that because I know what the root cause of all my issues which explain the way I have behavied over the years that I can just suddenly change and stop all these traits.

This is something I want to do but think it will take a lot longer to solve and will take one step at a time. The other thing that made me angry was that they think I am now using Asperger's as a excuse for the way I behave which is not true, All I have been doing is trying to explain the things which affect me and the routines i basicly do to try and manage the sittuation which is something I have never talked about. I just feel really angery and upset at the moment that the people i trust to have told what I was feeling and going through have basicly caused me a lot of anxiety i dont need at this moment.

Has any one gone through a similer sittuation?

Hi all

As I have mentioned in previous posts I recently found out that it was Asperger's syndrome which was causing all of my anxiety regarding social sittuations. I have felt this a huge relief as it explains my life basicly and feel it has been off great benifit to find out. Since finding out I have become a lot more open with friends and family regarding the things I do such as the routines i follow, unusual interests and genrally what makes me feel anxious. My problem is that family members now think that because I know what the root cause of all my issues which explain the way I have behavied over the years that I can just suddenly change and stop all these traits.

This is something I want to do but think it will take a lot longer to solve and will take one step at a time. The other thing that made me angry was that they think I am now using Asperger's as a excuse for the way I behave which is not true, All I have been doing is trying to explain the things which affect me and the routines i basicly do to try and manage the sittuation which is something I have never talked about. I just feel really angery and upset at the moment that the people i trust to have told what I was feeling and going through have basicly caused me a lot of anxiety i dont need at this moment.

Has any one gone through a similer sittuation?

Hiya

Pretty much the same thing is happening with me - the best thing to do is just continue being you. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone, or start explaining yourself. Trying to only results in arguments, or more accusations of using your AS as a crutch. If they continue to say the things they've been saying - show them your report or even direct them to the NAS - if it's not enough then that's their problem. You don't need to justify yourself to anyone, and they are not worth your upset even if they are your family. Just be you.

Hiya

Pretty much the same thing is happening with me - the best thing to do is just continue being you. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone, or start explaining yourself. Trying to only results in arguments, or more accusations of using your AS as a crutch. If they continue to say the things they've been saying - show them your report or even direct them to the NAS - if it's not enough then that's their problem. You don't need to justify yourself to anyone, and they are not worth your upset even if they are your family. Just be you.

Matzoball sums up my view nicely.

Caroline.

Thanks for your posts I will just keep being myself but I do want my family to understand. As I said i am going to take one step at a time and hopefully my family will learn to accept the way i am