Sign in to follow this  
A and A

toilet training

hello all we have a 3 year old autistic little boy called Liam who wears nappies day and night, what we would like to know if any parents can give any advice or hints that they found helpful when trying to get their child out of nappies and moving on to using a potty.

Anna (A and A )

Hi Anna,

I also wanted to share my story and perhaps my approach may help you.

I also started training my son when he was 3 and since he loves water getting him in the bathroom wasn't difficult. What I found encouraged him to pee was the fact that he can flush the toilet (without being told off as he used to go through to phases of toilet flashing for over 100 times and we had to lock all bathrooms) and then wash his hands. What can help you is a small visual drawing of the complete routine. Peeing was the easy part (though it took around 4 weeks of us encouraging him to go and afterwards he was asking to go) , the rest was more comfortable to do in a nappy. Persistance, awards, positive enforcement, even modelling it didnt help for a while and some days he would sit on the toilet for an hour with nothing and would hold it until we put a nappy for sleep time. As soon as we thought it worked I started toilet training my younger one and he regressed again going in the nappy. It took us good 2 days to be on the case and ensure he does it on the toilet once when we had enough of him requesting a nappy when he needed a poo.

He just turned 4 and has been fully toilet trained and without a nappy during the day but still wets the nappy during night. It took around a year to get him fully trained so be patient, dont make it stressful time when accidents happen and lots of positive enforcement. You will get there!