Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Realistically SPeaking

Having now been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome for the third time, I am finally beginning to accept that I have limitations and cannot manage to do all the things I want to. But just because I know it's true doesn't mean I don't want to do those things any more!

Realistically, there is no such thing as a vacancy for a part time zookeeper. It's highly unlikely I will ever get the opportunity to work with a cheetah. And that makes me very sad.

Hi Tally

So sorry that you feeling upset >:D<<'> It seems you have worked so hard to reach your dream career but maybe you can find something similar to suit the hours you can manage.I so understand how you feel,its not a nice feeling at all :crying:

For childdcare reasons I am very restricted and really dont know if I will achieve my goal of being a nurse.The most important thing is to say that you have tried your best and IMO you most definatly have :thumbs:

Oi! That sort of negative thinking is only allowed for old f*rts like me. ;)

Depressing news about the chronic fatigue. You're plenty young enough to still have hopes of working towards your dream though, so don't give up, even if it seems out of reach just now.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Hi tally -

Sorry to hear of your new (or confirmed) CFS dx :(

That said, I think there's more than one way to skin a cat - if you'll excuse the pun - and that it doesn't necessarily mean a locked door on your ambitions. It might be it just takes you a bit longer to find the key.

Given the amount of work you've put into learning all the practical stuff, I'm sure someone somewhere could benefit from those skills even on a more casual basis. Perhaps you could make an offer of voluntary work somewhere, or find some other way of achieving your ambitions? I know you posted elsewhere that you did some observational research as part of your coursework and stuff, so maybe a request along those lines to a local zoo / conservation park could get you a foot in the door? I hope so.

Very best

L&P

BD :D

Having now been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome for the third time, I am finally beginning to accept that I have limitations and cannot manage to do all the things I want to. But just because I know it's true doesn't mean I don't want to do those things any more!

Realistically, there is no such thing as a vacancy for a part time zookeeper. It's highly unlikely I will ever get the opportunity to work with a cheetah. And that makes me very sad.

You could try writing to a zoo or wildlife park with cheetahs and asking if they could use a volunteer for a few hours a week. Explain your circumstances and I'm sure both parties could benefit out of this.

I can't really manage voluntary work because I need to put all the energy I have into paid employment. At the moment that consists of about 25 hours per week in my job, which really is the maximum I can manage. If I do a zoology degree part time then funding will allow me to reduce my hours at work, which would mean I would be working/studying about the same amount as I am at the moment.

Even a zoology degree will leave me very unqualified for the type of work I am looking for without the voluntary experience that most students would be able to obtain even alongside a full time degree.

Hi.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a fairly new diagnosis and so there is probably still lots of scope for reasearch.

Perhaps in the future there may be some new ideas about treatments that might help.

There is scope for things to improve even if it does not feel like it at the minute. >:D<<'>

Karen.