Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Hope its not so

Hi everyone

I took Eli to his two year checkup at a clinic,they do this in groups,allowing him to play and they weigh and measure him. They are worried about him and now I am so upset :tearful: I really feel Eli is NT,I dont know why I just feel he is,but what if I am wrong???

When he was born there was meconium in the fluid,he had trouble breathing and a weak heart.We were in the hospital three days and they suspected he had a heart murmur(which I have)A week later they said it was okay.Then after that his head was growing very rapidly and his fontanele was too wide.The suspected hydrocephalus,I went to the hospital(14miles away) every week for three weeks when they finally discharged him.Today they say I now need to go back to the GP as his head still seems far too large.

He is underweight for his age,though his height is okay.But he doesnt eat very much,I havent been too concerned a he is very active and thought its likely he is just going through that "normal" fussy stage.While I was there Eli kept screaming and blowing raspberries at the staff whenever they came to interact with him,he also froze when the other children tried to play.He loves puzzles and he didnt want the other kids touching the puzzles.I agreed it was far to early to tell if he has ASD,and said I dont think he does.They have asked me to write a diary and hand it in two weeks time and then they will see from there.They saying if he is fine in the next 6mths we will leave it if not he will have to go to the development centre.

Anyway I just had to type this out as it makes me feel better.

Really sorry :tearful: It must be a terrible worry for you, whatever the root of the concerns the clinic are expressing turn out to be :(

Just looked at your siggy, and I hope that you'll take some comfort from the fact that Eli is a 'Happy and gorgeous baby' and will continue to be exactly that. Sounds like he got off to a rough start with those post birth complications, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to find that he needs a bit more time to 'catch up' as a result.

very, very best to you both.

L&P

BD

Really sorry :tearful: It must be a terrible worry for you, whatever the root of the concerns the clinic are expressing turn out to be :(

Just looked at your siggy, and I hope that you'll take some comfort from the fact that Eli is a 'Happy and gorgeous baby' and will continue to be exactly that. Sounds like he got off to a rough start with those post birth complications, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to find that he needs a bit more time to 'catch up' as a result.

very, very best to you both.

L&P

BD

Thanks BD :notworthy: yes he will always be my gorgeous baby no matter what.He has a smile on his face from the minute he gets up until he goes to bed. He does go through stages of throwing tantrums but actually out of all four boys he throws the least amount of tantrums he is quite calm. He loves his older brother so much,when the post comes through the door he thinks its Josh coming home and races to the door it so cute.

Compared to the others I would say Eli's speech is more average,Sam and Josh both have advanced speech and Dan is delayed,he fits into neither category IMO.

I will be calling my mum and see what she thinks though she only saw Eli when he was about 7-8mths old.My brother thinks Eli is okay,but he again said he could be wrong. Anyway I am just fretting to much my life will not change.He is still too young I want him to go to pre-school and see from there.

Those 'wait and see' follow up appointments were some of the most stressful ones I've ever had the misfortune to wait for. Fingers crossed and I won't say try not to worry about it.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Not really sure what to say :( I think that what BD has said is important though - after a difficult start or any medical issues, there may be a delay whilst getting over the 'trauma', and he's still really really young.

At least if there is anything, you've got really early intervention which could really help if required.