Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Children/ Young people with SEN and disabilities

Sarah Teather wants your views on what works and what doesn't - sock it to her!

Here's a summary of what's wanted, follow the link below for more information on how to respond.

We want to hear from anyone who has experienced services for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities - those who use them, and those who provide, or commission them. People's perspectives are varied and understandably deeply felt. We want everyone to have their say, and the opportunity to influence our future direction.

Please tell us about your experiences and the problems and priorities from your perspective. Share your ideas for practical solutions. Where things are working well, let us know why they work, or how they save money or time.

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1736&external=no&menu=1

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Sarah Teather wants your views on what works and what doesn't - sock it to her!

Here's a summary of what's wanted, follow the link below for more information on how to respond.

We want to hear from anyone who has experienced services for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities - those who use them, and those who provide, or commission them. People's perspectives are varied and understandably deeply felt. We want everyone to have their say, and the opportunity to influence our future direction.

Please tell us about your experiences and the problems and priorities from your perspective. Share your ideas for practical solutions. Where things are working well, let us know why they work, or how they save money or time.

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1736&external=no&menu=1

K x

I'm a little worried about this as it reads very much like the glossy brochures that my Conservative Council put out when they were 'selling' a new pupil funding scheme, involving the money being delegated to the schools and there being 'no need' for the statutory assessment process; no need for statements. The figures were impressive and they made it seem so easy to get. Once it was agreed, suddenly the banded funds went DOWN every year and the list of criteria to get the funding went up - the list for autism was ridiculous.

Obviously, by law, there are still statements.

My concern is that they will use complaints about the current system to justify getting rid of statements and putting in a supposed simpler, quicker system. However, it's only quicker if they agree to give the funding and you don't spend literally years (spoken to other parents who have tried for it) trying to get it.

At least statements give you legal protection and the right to go to an independent tribunal.

Obviously the system needs improving and maybe I'm cynical, but it seems to me that in other areas e.g. school closures, they seem to do a consultation once they have already decided what they want to do and then cherry pick the evidence to justify what they intended to do all along.

I'll be extremely happy to be proved wrong and when I get a moment shall definitely be giving my views!

Grace/x

Just send off my response.

Didn't mention the fact that Statements being legally binding is the only real piece of jurisdiction that works in our favour.

I'll maybe send an addendum!