anxious-soul

Asperger's and employment

Hi All

I am having problems at work at the moment due to my employer not being able to understand what Im going through regarding all my anxiety and depression issues. It has got to such a stage that every time we meet to sort things out we end up in an argument. It now looks like he is going to raise formal proceedings against me and I have a meeting with HR this Fri. I will be taking a rep from my trade union and have just found out I am covered by the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act). All I want is to get on with my job which I do well but I feel my manager wants rid of me, All I ask from them is that they try to give me notice of things as I follow a strict routine and if something is sprung on me I can't cope, I think this is a reasonable request but my manager say he will deal with me the same as other members of staff. I had a fall out with him on Fri so have not had a good weekend due to anxiety which has made me feel really depressed about things. Why are people like this? I wish i never disclosed my mental health to my employer which is a shame as i work for the council and they are supposed to take care off you. I don't know what to do? I am at my wits end I hate going into work as I feel there is this bad cloud hanging over me and I don't want to lose my job.

Help?

Anxious-soul

Hello Anxious Soul

The problem is the term 'reasonable adjustments' is very vague and hard to define. What can be reasonable for one

person can be unreasonable for another. i also have major difficulties coping with changem, however if there is a

clearly defined reason for a change eg a meeting cancelled because a relative of the manager is severely ill. Then i

can accept that. i prefer a weeks warning for predicatable changes and will accept some changes arent planned or

done to purposefully annoy me. Change upsets me so i might ask to "leave early if 3 appear in the space of 3 hours for

example".

What has your manager asked you to do which you feel is unreasonable? Are there any other disabled employees which

he has a problem with?

There is one course your employer could pay you to attend, "stress and anxiety in the workplace"

contact daniel.aherne@nas.org.uk for more details. Also refer your manager to

http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/employment-support/prospects-for-employers/training-from-prospects/training-for-employers.aspx

for details on how to support autistics in the workplace.

Good luck.

Have your employers always been aware of your AS? The reason I ask is that if they have known all along - they have to make reasonable adjustments by law - even if they have only been told recently they need to start making these adjustments from that point onwards. They can't turn round and say they have to treat you like everyone else because you have different needs which are covered by the DDA. You need to get in contact with the NAS and ask to speak to your local Prospects worker - they will be able to advocate for you, or at least come to your work and explain what your disability means to you and how it affects your daily life. It may be they geniunely just don't understand your disability and might just need a bit of help to understand it and make the adjustments they need to make.

I am taking my former employers to tribunal for something very similar, so I know about being discriminated against - if they have known all along, and have continued not making reasonable adjustments, they are breaking the law. Start logging every time you feel discriminated against, or you feel your needs weren't being met. This will be useful in regards to any disciplinary process. Also if they do pull you into disciplinary, they have to give you 2 weeks notice, and evidence of any misconduct or mistakes they say you are making before you go into that meeting. If they don't do this, they are liable under employment law.

If you need any more advice regarding your rights, ACAS are fantastic and will offer you as much advice as you need - if they can't help you they will point you in the direction of someone who can. Their number is 08457 47 47 47.

Keep your chin up, I know exactly how you are feeling right now and you need to accentuate the other things in your life that are positive. Don't let them grind you down because they don't have the right!

Hi

Thanks for your responses. My manager has refereed me to Occupational Health regarding a separate issue (umbilical hernia) which I agreed to on Friday, He then went onto say about the HR meeting on Friday as already mentioned. I feel that this was not needed and when I phoned OH they said that this meeting with HR was not required and that they would contact HR to let them know I have been asked to go and see them and no formal meeting was needed. Because my manager can not see my problems he finds it hard to relate to what the problem is and I am made to feel like I am making it up which is really frustrating.

Thanks for your info