Sign in to follow this  
Candyfloss

Help - my mum doesnt care about my aspergers

she says it in a sarcastic way

we dont get on well - for years we had fights - i felt she never understood or wanted to understand my problems - she cares about small children with autism (server autism eg at a primary school where she works

but to me - couldnt care - she say sarcastically- yea - its your aspergers / sesnory issues

Have you tried joining a social group for adults with Asperger's?

http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/support-for-people-with-autism/social-support-for-people-with-autism.aspx

My mum doesn't understand Asperger's either but my friends at the adult social clubs do.

she says it in a sarcastic way

we dont get on well - for years we had fights - i felt she never understood or wanted to understand my problems - she cares about small children with autism (server autism eg at a primary school where she works

but to me - couldnt care - she say sarcastically- yea - its your aspergers / sesnory issues

Hi Candyfloss

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately parents aren't all perfect, in fact most of us definitely are not perfect :unsure: . Presumably she may see your problems as 'trivial' compared to the difficulties of the young children she works with. Is it also possible that you do not express how you are feeling, so maybe she doesn't realise how bad you feel sometimes? My son expects me to 'know' how he's feeling even when he is expressionless and not telling me anything :whistle:

As a daughter of a mum who never particularly demonstrated that she cared, all I can suggest is that you learn as much as you can about yourself and your condition. Try and make some plans for the future, expecting that you will be independent and possibly without her emotional support. Whatever someone's background/childhood experiences, it is important to look forward and make a good (better?) life for yourself. You deserve it >:D<<'>

Connexions may be able to offer some support and suggestions (not sure how old you are). They can help with counselling, careers advice, training etc.

Parents often have their own problems/hang ups to deal with and may cope by withdrawing from emotional contact and concentrating on work. She may be worried about your future and not able to cope with facing it - just looking for a glimmer of hope here B)