Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

Petition: in support of an adventure playground for disabled children

My local authority's Aiming High funding is under threat. Please support our petition if you can.

Parents in Touch is seeking support for Aiming High for Disabled Children capital funding to be spent improving the enclosed area currently used by the One O'clock Club to provide more indoor facilities and equipment suitable for older disabled children to play.

Money is ring-fenced as far as capital is concerned but in today's climate there are concerns about the on-going costs of providing support to children who actually need it in order to access play.

The petition is here:

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/39516.html

Signed the petition, good luck.

I was previously involved in the (currently suspended) Playbuilder play area programme, part of which included Aiming High funding for three play areas, and a further possibility in the now cancelled second phase. I think the very presence of Playbuilder disappearing has instigated the possibility of Aiming High being a target for loss.

It is a travesty posting a limitation on play for disabled people after much hard work to incorporate inclusive equipment in outdoor schemes and promote alternative community indoor facilities. However, play is something very easy to target in budgetary cost regimes, because the counteraction to investing in equipment (particularly outdoor) can lead to much more investment on the maintenance side.

I've signed the petition. Hope it helps.

Edited by CEJesson