Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Supports still not in place

There are a number of things that are still not in place for my son since returning to school in September. For example he is to have an individualised literacy programme, which he had last academic year. Now we have had a new Statement finalised and it is not specific at all.

Although he is still going to get a literacy programme, his teacher has said that they cannot get it up and running until after half term. That will only leave about a month before we are into December and the whole school timetable switches over to Xmas stuff.

The Social Communication, Emotional Recognition and Transition programme is still not in place. I've been waiting since February 2009 for that .....

I'm feeling frustrated and biting my tongue.

I have got parents evening tomorrow evening so I shall ask why it is taking so long.

The things that are not in place are really bread and butter stuff for a school that is supposed to have expertise and experience in ASDs.

Went into school twice this week.

Once for parents evening with his new teacher.

Once to meet SALT and discuss the programme.

I have some good news!!!

His teacher agrees with me and is going to start using Widgit symbols ..... can't believe it ..... not resistance from him at all ..... he totally agreed that we need to try it as I demonstrated with my son how he can read and write the words associated with the symbols and this was AFTER the teacher had admitted that he was not writing independently at all in his new class ..... So I am keeping everything crossed.

Secondly the school is filling out the assessment forms for SCERTS now ..... so just a week or two longer before we have the MDT meeting and move toward with an agreed programme.

So I'm off to do cartwheels .... and then fill out the appeal form for SEND so that I can get all this provision included in his Statement.

Edited by Sally44