Sign in to follow this  
pebbs10

confussed

Have not posted for a while so don't know if this is where to post am receiving DLA for DS2 now DS1 has been diagnosed with high functioning aspergers do I claim for DLA for him.

thank you in advance for replies

Hello

i would always attempt to claim benefits for a disability.

Tips for parents is mentioned here;

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/benefits-and-community-care/disability-living-allowance/dla-tips-for-parents-and-carers.aspx

1 feel the term 'high functioning' is misleading because it just means the child 'appears' very able. i claim DLA and haven't regretted it

in fact my carer at the time helped me fill out the form and we got the NAS help' at the time.

Talking of which there is the NAS HELP! programme http://www.autism.org.uk/Our-services/Support-for-families-and-carers/help-programme.aspx for those diagnosed less than 2 years ago. They will accept people whose diagnosis was sometime ago but have never been given help with regards to their' their child's, their partners autism.

Put it this way what have you got to loose by trying to claim DLA for your eldest?

Have you claimed carers allowance for either/both sons?

Hi

My situation is,I claimed DLA for my 7 year old AS son and I have not done so for my 4yr old ASD son. Why? Well even though my 4 yr old is more work at the moment he is living with my ex and so I cannot claim the money,my ex wont aknowledge the diagnosis so in the end my 4 yr old is "missing out" I suppose.

Forgot to add,I also actually think in the case of my 4yr old I took his age into consideration.If the behaviour he has now is the same in two years time and he is living with me,I am more likely to claim then.

Edited by justine1

The simple answer is, do you have to provide substantially more care to him than you would to an average child of his age and / or does the care you have to provide him cost more than it would for an average child of his age. If the answer is yes to either, then you can claim.