Mumble

Psychoanalysis and ASDs

I'm hoping someone can help - can anyone point me in the direction of any literature (academic papers would be best) regarding the difficulties of psychoanalysis and ASD? I know it's worked for some, but equally I do know (just can't find :rolleyes:) that there has been research saying this isn't the way to go.

I can't go into many details about why I need this but basically psychoanalysis is being pushed on me against my will and I need some evidence to back up my claim (which they say I've made up - I know I haven't :tearful:) that there's evidence that it can be unhelpful to those on the spectrum. I've had psychoanalysis before and it was a complete disaster because they wouldn't believe that I couldn't identify the feelings they wanted me to identify (I have a dx of Alexithymia as well as HFA so not much surprise I found it so difficult :wacko:). I've been having CBT and found it really helpful and have made progress, but as seems to be the way, when something works, the powers that be seek to change it... :shame::(

I am surprised that you are being pressured to go down the psychoanalysis route. CBT is known to have proven benefits for people with ASD, and it's cheaper!

Are you being treated privately or through the NHS. If you are being treated privately, then that may explain it, ie. someone wants to make a bit of dosh, by recommending a therapy that is time consuming and expensive.

For what it's worth, when my husband was diagnosed by Judith Gould at the NAS (Wing) centre in Bromley she was very explicit - he should avoid psycholanalysis like the plague (for the reasons you have identified from the last time you underwent it) and focus on problem solving (CBT) style therapy for which there is a reasonable amount of evidence.

Edited by sunflower1

Who's pushing it on you? It's a rather outmoded form of therapy, to say the least, and the theory is pretty questionable IMO.

cb

Hi.

My husband and myself spent three years working with a CAMHS psychotherapist who was very psychoanalytically orientated.From personal experience I would say it would not be possible to be forced to engage in psychoanalysis because the work is very much based on the professional analysing what the individual brings to the session.If an individual is not happy to engage in the process the exercise would be pointless.

The therapist that saw us was certainly not outdated.However having experienced psychotherapy with professionals who had a variety of theoretical frameworks I would suggest that there is sound research evidence to suggest that CBT might be useful for those with ASD.Transactional Analysis might also be worth considering.However outside of a very small group of professionals there are few psychotherapists who would advocate psychoanalysis for individuals with ASD.Usually it is not offered within the NHS anyway because it is usually a process which takes many months or years and it is too costly.

Psychoanalysis is likely to be a lengthy process.A psychoanalysis who did not understand ASD could spend considerable time attempting to uncover the deep unconscious motivations behind what many professionals might consider normal diagnostic criteria for ASD.

This thread might also be useful.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/24694-psychotherapy-and-as/page__p__291231__hl__psychoanalysis__fromsearch__1#entry291231

Karen.

Edited by Karen A