Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Car Shopping!

Well I am really surprised, but I have just heard that my car has been written off as the repairs are estimated at £5 more than the value of the car.

At least this resolves the "shall I get a new car now" dilemma. To be honest, my car is a pile of poo and I really find it hard to believe it's worth anywhere near what my insurance company think it is. I will be getting much more than I would have got for trade in!

So it's good news really and I am looking forward to choosing a new car.

Hire car will be delivered tomorrow for me to use until I receive my cheque, and insurers will seize my own car at some point soon.

Despite them going bust 5 years ago, get an MG or Rover! but I am incredibly biased!

Despite them going bust 5 years ago, get an MG or Rover! but I am incredibly biased!

Tee hee! I've got a Rover and love it (apart from the squealing driver's window), so agree with this!

Of course, it's a case of finding the best car that's available at a price you can afford. We bought a car (a Rover :unsure:) from a man trading from his house once, 6 weeks later the engine blew up. I tend to buy the cheapest car in the local independent garage when I need one now, as at least I get a warranty.

Hope you find one you're happy with.

Tee hee! I've got a Rover and love it (apart from the squealing driver's window), so agree with this!

Of course, it's a case of finding the best car that's available at a price you can afford. We bought a car (a Rover :unsure:) from a man trading from his house once, 6 weeks later the engine blew up. I tend to buy the cheapest car in the local independent garage when I need one now, as at least I get a warranty.

Hope you find one you're happy with.

Yes Ive got the MG ZR or 'Rover 25 with spoilers' and the head gasket went 1 month after buying it :(

Good thing I've got a lot of brand loyalty.

This hire car is the weirdest car I have ever driven. I am normally quite happy to get into any car and drive it straight onto the motorway, but after a whole day of driving people here and there I still cannot get the hang of it. If I ever do I am going to have to buy the same car as I won't be able to drive anything else!

This hire car is the weirdest car I have ever driven. I am normally quite happy to get into any car and drive it straight onto the motorway, but after a whole day of driving people here and there I still cannot get the hang of it. If I ever do I am going to have to buy the same car as I won't be able to drive anything else!

Intriguing! What car is it?

It's a VW Golf 2L TDI. It's a lovely-looking car and performs well.

The problem I am having is that there are 6 gears and I am used to 5. I can't change through them quickly enough when I am pulling away, so I am one gear behind what I need to be in. It's not a very economical way to drive, it makes my driving very jerky, and I am finding it's a lot of things to think about having to change gear all the time.

Being a diesel I cannot tell from the engine tone when I am in the wrong gear, as it's just completely different to what I'm used to. I can only tell when I try to accelerate gently and the car lurches forward, then I realise it's time to change up again.

It's quite weird and it leaves you having to change between 4th and 5th at 30mph, depending on the slope and whether you're just under or just over. At 50mph you're constantly switching between 5th and 6th. That's because it's a German car I suppose, in Germany they use kmph instead, so you would not be likely to be driving steadily at 30 or 50mph in Germany, whereas here those speeds are common limits on our roads. It's just a very annoying place to put the borderline between 2 gears.

Also the hand brake is right up against the passenger seat and if your passenger has things in their pockets you cannot use it. It's a problem I've had with previous VWs I've had where they've converted it to right-hand-drive, almost.

I'm going out looking for a car tomorrow. I hope I can get one quite quickly as my insurance company will whip back the hire car the moment they issue me with the cheque, so I could find myself a bit stuck with no warning! I'm also quite keen to get rid of the hire car.

Any particular car in mind?

I am looking for a small hatchback about 3-5 years old. That is as far as I have got so far. I am going to have a look at some car dealers tomorrow.