Sign in to follow this  
yorks

Am I Over Reacting?

I think I may well have lost the plot this morning and I'm furious!!!!!!! Step son has his annual review tomorrow after being at his new mainstream primary school for only 6 weeks. Agreed by our SEN officer the day he started that he needed to be seen by the ed psych well before the review. I have prompted the deputy head who is also the SENCO several times about this in the last couple of weeks and nothing. Well surprise surprise we get a phone call at 09.30 today that the ed psych is in this morning to do an observation and do we give our permission. No chance to speak with her ourselves about the current issues and what exactly is going to happen after the observation. I was at work at the time and my partner not really sure what to do gave permission for this to go ahead.

Maybe I'm going over the top but I'm absolutely furious. :wallbash: All seems a total rush job to me and I'm so mad it's unbelievable. Can't seem to get through to this SENCO that he needs to work in partnership with us and good communication is the key to a positive working relationship. Once again I may aswell been talking to meself :crying:

Sorry for the rants guys but totally cheesed off

Yorks

Hi.

.Words of wisdom from my husband who is the one who does not rant.

Do not do anything now.If you want to try to work with the SENCO then allow yourself to calm down.

I do know of this situation because it has happened to us at least twice.If the EP comes in on the day of the AR I guess it is charged as one visit. :rolleyes:

Do all the preparation you can,take another person along for moral support [and to kick you under the table if you get out of hand :rolleyes::whistle: ],take notes,take notes with you.

If you are clear and assertive but not aggressive you may well come across as well prepared.The EP will have had little time to prepare and may well be challenged which is no bad thing.

If you come across as furious then that will not demonstrate that communication is key in a good working relationship.

I have messed up too many times because I was cross and am slowly learning from my OH that it can be better to try to manage genuine frustration difficult though that is.This is very important if you want to continue to work with the school rather than looking for another.

Karen.

It can sometimes be the case that professionals like to go in and observe a child with fresh eyes to get their own first impressions and draw their own conclusions before hearing the views of others involved, especially parents. I was told this once, that the professional wanted to meet my son first before talking about him so that she wouldn't go in with pre-conceived ideas about him based on others' views. It could be that the EP will make the report and then talk to you. I personally would try not to get too upset about it. It's good that the visit has happened and, as eager as you are to know the results, it could be worth just taking some deep breaths and letting them do their jobs and see what they have to say before going in all guns blazing, which can be a big mistake.

~ Mel ~

Thank you to you both some good advice there. SENCO has phoned me back and yes I was calm lol. Ed psych was there for 20 mins and she will not be at the annual review !!!!!! Oh, and she has not seen enough yet to complete any report. SENCO said he doesn't even feel ed psych is necessary!!!!!! :wallbash: Yep, hands up probably shouldn't have said this but my response to that is when he finally gets a qualification in mental health/emotional disorders then come back and talk to me :oops:

I've worked for 20 yrs as a mental health nurse and we would never ever get away with some of the stunts some of these professionals pull within the SEN system.

I take on board what you're both saying I do really but just can't help feeling what a total waste of time these meetings actually are.

Yorks

Thank you to you both some good advice there. SENCO has phoned me back and yes I was calm lol. Ed psych was there for 20 mins and she will not be at the annual review !!!!!! Oh, and she has not seen enough yet to complete any report. SENCO said he doesn't even feel ed psych is necessary!!!!!! :wallbash: Yep, hands up probably shouldn't have said this but my response to that is when he finally gets a qualification in mental health/emotional disorders then come back and talk to me :oops:

I've worked for 20 yrs as a mental health nurse and we would never ever get away with some of the stunts some of these professionals pull within the SEN system.

I take on board what you're both saying I do really but just can't help feeling what a total waste of time these meetings actually are.

Yorks

Do you know you can ask for the AR to be put back to a later date so that professionals can attend ?

There is some excellent information on ARs if you have any time this evening.I will find the links in a minute.

My husband has spent over twenty years helping me to be more diplomatic after many dreadful mistakes and ten years private therapy has helped so don't be too hard on yourself. :)

As for 20 years as a mental health nurse....I was a nurse and district nurse for over ten years and my husband has worked at deputy director level for a mental health trust for many years and been in the NHS for over twenty.....so I cannot think of an opinion I could freely give. :whistle::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.autism.org.uk/Living-with-autism/Education/Primary-and-secondary-school/Extra-help-for-your-child-in-school/Extra-help-in-school-England-and-wales/Annual-review-England-Wales.aspx

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-education-for-parents/Special_Educational_Needs/understanding-annual-reviews

Edited by Karen A

I thought I would add.Most schools have to pay for EP visits and usually pay for so many per year.

So if your child does not have a Statement with EP input included or is not being assessed for one the SENCO may not be keen to use up any of the yearly allocation if not pushed to do so.

I would advise you to state very clearly at the AR that you request EP input and that the EP has said further assessments are needed.Ensure it is minuted because the minutes should go to the LA.You should be sent a copy of the minutes.If it is not included in the minutes then follow it up yourself with the LA saying requested EP input at the AR and it has not been documented.

A detailed EP assessment may be very helpful in documenting your child's needs so it may be worth pushing for one at the AR because it will hope be a while before the next one. :)

I don't remember where it says this (it is late and I'm tired!). But parents are supposed to receive Annual Review reports two weeks before the Annual Review.

They were late for my son's annual review, they arrived about a week beforehand. As parents you need to see those reports because they are going to be discussed at the Annual Review.

If these professionals are not producing up to date reports, then are they basically saying that he has not changed at all over the last year and they do not need to observe, assess and monitor how he has progressed?

My son's new Statement is pants in section 3 compared to his previous one - and that is why we are going to appeal.

But at the Annual Review I argued that he needed EP input to be quantified and specified because he was not getting access to the EP as 'school did not think there was any problems'. I argued that as experienced as the school was, my son's complex diagnosis and needs mean that someone suitably qualified should be overseeing the supports, strategies and approaches being used.

So now his Statement says that the EP will go into school in May and October of each academic year. She will attend the AR and will produce an up to date report.

However, it is still like getting water out of a stone. I emailed the EP about her forthcoming visit into school (ie. the October visit). She was not aware of the contents of the new Statement. So I told her what it said, and she agreed to go in to see him probably in November.

I asked her some questions about his current programmes and she said "the day to day running of the Statement and the approaches/supports are down to the school. But they are able to seek my advice at any time." But that is the whole point - they don't - they say everything is okay when it is not.

SEN laws have changed now and you can appeal if the LEA changes the Statement and you don't agree, or they don't change the Statement and you think they should.

From memory I believe your son's placement is supposed to be a special school, but when you moved the new LEA has placed him mainstream. I am worried that they could try to change his placement in section 4 and/or water down his Statement. They are very unlikely to say he has needs that they cannot meet. And from your post it sounds like the SENCO is also saying he does not need EP input or even an up to date report.

From your medical background you will know all about baseline assessments/results and monitoring progress. So keep a keen eye on that. And I hope you have sought advice about the placement issue.