Sign in to follow this  
lisa2701

Meltdowns.... in sleep ?!?!?!?!?

JsMum - thanks for your reply. My son always takes water to bed with his as he always complains of being thirsty, i have asked the doctors to check this out, and they done a sugar levels test on his urine which came back normal and said nothing else would cause his thirst, just behavioural. His room is kept a comfortable temp as DS is sensitive to temperatures. We have a light that project up onto the ceiling, very relaxing and dim and Ds won't sleep without it. His bedding is the same as we've used for him for the last 3 years.

He had maybe eaten a bit more cheese than he should've around the time the first sleep disturbance started, maybe that it? I had no idea that cheese could cause sleep problems. interesting.

JsMum - thanks for your reply. My son always takes water to bed with his as he always complains of being thirsty, i have asked the doctors to check this out, and they done a sugar levels test on his urine which came back normal and said nothing else would cause his thirst, just behavioural. His room is kept a comfortable temp as DS is sensitive to temperatures. We have a light that project up onto the ceiling, very relaxing and dim and Ds won't sleep without it. His bedding is the same as we've used for him for the last 3 years.

He had maybe eaten a bit more cheese than he should've around the time the first sleep disturbance started, maybe that it? I had no idea that cheese could cause sleep problems. interesting.

Although I know traditional beliefs state that cheese can cause sleep difficulties I do not know of any solid reasons why this should be the case.It might cause stomache pain if eaten in large amounts before bed.However I don't think there is anything in cheese that would cause sleep disturbance.

It is like the idea that my mum had that cucumber could only be eaten in very thin slices and bananas can only be eaten when very ripe. :) A food myth probably.

Karen.

However I don't think there is anything in cheese that would cause sleep disturbance.

It's the mice. They crawl in after-dark to reclaim the cheese, frighten the mini-elephants who work the cogs in the brain (because elephants never forget), cause a mini-mini-elephant stampede resulting in temporary brain squashing which results in sleep disturbances. I think. :unsure:

It's the mice. They crawl in after-dark to reclaim the cheese, frighten the mini-elephants who work the cogs in the brain (because elephants never forget), cause a mini-mini-elephant stampede resulting in temporary brain squashing which results in sleep disturbances. I think. :unsure:

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Don't mention those beastly horrid critters ......the most recent visitor woke us when it got trapped by the tail.It then dragged the trap round the bathroom for fifteen minutes before getting stuck in the gap because the trap would not fit.

Husband is useless and wimps out on such occasions.I followed the regular ritual of going for a plastic bag and telephone directory only for the mouse to escape back under the bath.

When they do get trapped it is nearly always at about 0200 when we need to get up at 0630. :lol:

Don't mention those beastly horrid critters ......the most recent visitor woke us when it got trapped by the tail.It then dragged the trap round the bathroom for fifteen minutes before getting stuck in the gap because the trap would not fit.

Husband is useless and wimps out on such occasions.I followed the regular ritual of going for a plastic bag and telephone directory only for the mouse to escape back under the bath.

When they do get trapped it is nearly always at about 0200 when we need to get up at 0630. :lol:

:lol: Very sorry - although you have proved that cheese, by way of the mice, does disturb sleep! :whistle:

Totally :offtopic: but when I lived in a room which had mice issues, I bought sticky tube style mice-traps which are great as the mouse walks inside (something in the stick attracts them), sticks and dies and you just throw the whole thing out, you don't have to see or touch the mouse.

:lol: Very sorry - although you have proved that cheese, by way of the mice, does disturb sleep! :whistle:

Totally :offtopic: but when I lived in a room which had mice issues, I bought sticky tube style mice-traps which are great as the mouse walks inside (something in the stick attracts them), sticks and dies and you just throw the whole thing out, you don't have to see or touch the mouse.

Yes.A friend has used similar sticky tape.Unfortunately unless one wants to leave the mouse sticking to the tape to starve to death a platic bag and telephone directory or similar large heavy object is still required. :sick::sick::sick::sick:

That's no way to speak about your husband. :shame::devil::lol: :lol:

Now look what you have done....he just walked in........ :lol:

What is more its his birthday and this post was all he saw. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Edited by Karen A

Now look what you have done....he just walked in........ :lol:

What is more its his birthday and this post was all he saw. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Better go get his cheese supper ready... :devil::ph34r:

You had better watch out....I know about that red buttton and I am not afraid to use it. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Was that to me or your husband? :P Seems an odd sort of birthday treat. :whistle:

*runs* :ph34r:

Have you tried a sonic mouse deterrer? You can get ones with a little clip that attaches to a water pipe and emits the noise throughout your plumbing, and thus covers the entire house from one machine. My brother has had no mouse problems since he got his, and my parents have also had much success with one ever since their feline mouse deterrer failed.

Hi Lisa, I or J dont eat cheese as it is a contributing food that causes our Migranes, but I have had coincedent nightmares in the past when Id eaten cheese, maybe it doesnt, maybe its a myth, but just wanted you to be aware that was all, I found this here on further info, As I said I think the main contributor in your case is probably stress as his needs are not been met. I was only trying to help, sorry for even mentioning the cheese idea! Im not bothering here anymore but just wanted to add this link.

http://www.childrenfirst.nhs.uk/families/az_child_health/n/nightmares_night-terrors.html

JsMumx

Thanks for the info, its something to be aware of if nothing else. I agree that i think stress is probably the biggest factor, given how difficult his school is being I can't see the school related stress getting resolved any time soon. The usual story of the schools not being supportive. Perhaps thats for another thread. lol.

Thanks again for all the replies

Lisa

I was only trying to help, sorry for even mentioning the cheese idea! Im not bothering here anymore but just wanted to add this link.

For goodness sake, it was only a bit of harmless fun. It wasn't even directed at you (I wasn't even aware you had brought up the cheese issue until I read backwards, I was responding to Karen, who took my comment in the spirit it was intended and quite clearly written as - fun. If you can't see that, then the problem really does rest with you and not with myself or other posters.

Lisa, I'm very sorry for going :offtopic: I hope you will understand that that was only meant as a little fun, maybe it was the wrong place and I'm sorry for that, but I am in no way belittling your concerns, as I hope you will understand by my more serious responses much earlier in this thread. I use humour to help me cope with my ASD and other health issues and I never mean for it to offend anyone.

Hi Lisa, I or J dont eat cheese as it is a contributing food that causes our Migranes, but I have had coincedent nightmares in the past when Id eaten cheese, maybe it doesnt, maybe its a myth, but just wanted you to be aware that was all, I found this here on further info, As I said I think the main contributor in your case is probably stress as his needs are not been met. I was only trying to help, sorry for even mentioning the cheese idea! Im not bothering here anymore but just wanted to add this link.

http://www.childrenfirst.nhs.uk/families/az_child_health/n/nightmares_night-terrors.html

JsMumx

JsMum. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I am very sorry if I upsett you it was certainly not intended. :tearful:

My first post was an honest observation.

I am sorry if Mumble and myself got a bit carried away.

I have had a very tough month and needed a break from being serious.

Karen.

Have you tried a sonic mouse deterrer? You can get ones with a little clip that attaches to a water pipe and emits the noise throughout your plumbing, and thus covers the entire house from one machine. My brother has had no mouse problems since he got his, and my parents have also had much success with one ever since their feline mouse deterrer failed.

Thanks.

We have two mouse deterrers but not the latest one that you suggest.

They appear to become resistant after a while.

If I did not have an allergy we would get a cat. :)

Karen.

Hi guys.....hope that no one has become unduly upset about some comments that have been made, I,m sure no offence was meant, however feel free to pm me if you need too, suzex

my person had a meltdown at after school club he goes to.At first he could not talk about it :( then he was able to say He wanted something,someone else had and was upset :crying::angry: he had to wait,so he jumped on the chairs and screamed and shouted. :angry: When he came home he went to his room,i followed him and talked to him and got him to calm down explain what happened. The poor soul was upset,but i did get that he did not physically hurt anyone which is a :thumbs: it means he was able to control some of his actions,which is a huge step foward. :wub: so i told him he was very good for not hurting anyone. He came to the conclusion himself,he needs to learn more patience :wub: I have learn't a lot myself over the years. Its better to stay calm and talk to him quietly he lets me hug him and he is able to calm enough to explain what happened. If your is in his sleep,can you get him to remember what he was dreaming about at the time? What upset him in his dreams?A long shot i know.Is there anything he is worried about in the day? does anything upset him before bedtime? A book he is reading or a tv program?

The problem is some autistics (I know mine is one), hasn't the effective communication to explain what is bugging him, so he will 'explain' the only way he knows how, with his BODY ! Mine has a number of quite serious breakdowns, we have as yet never identified what triggers them, have suffered the indignity of others suggesting 'home' has issues, to 'school issues' to TV programs to computer games, unusual noises, he has heard, nightmares, knife on the wrong side of the plate ! the list is endless and covers near everything he comes in to contact with. In that sort of situation how can you ever address it ? At present so long as my child avoids EVERYTHING ! we just about keep him on a manageable level. However our home and social life no longer exists as any norm, he is autistic so we have to live hi life and adapt our home to it. we're lucky to see daylight really !

They are all so different,not every solution works for all. The human mind is so complex anyway it is very hard to try to work out what the problems are. I just had another door slamming because i told him no more :bancomp: pooter for the rest of the day for the slamming and tomorrow so he got more :angry: and shouting at that news. :( also dirty pants as well,because he won't stop what he is doing to do the necessary,so he is upset about that as well.Oh the joys :wub: tomorrow is another new day with more challenges.The battles i have now are who is the boss and who backs down.I have to make sure its me thats got all the shots,he just now has to learn to accept that concept. Its almost like training a dog on who is the master and who is the subordinate :whistle: He is 11 next month. and he is getting bigger and stronger,so hopefully we can get a lot more self control in the next year i :pray:

Edited by sesley

They are all so different,not every solution works for all. The human mind is so complex anyway it is very hard to try to work out what the problems are. I just had another door slamming because i told him no more :bancomp: pooter for the rest of the day for the slamming and tomorrow so he got more :angry: and shouting at that news. :( also dirty pants as well,because he won't stop what he is doing to do the necessary,so he is upset about that as well.Oh the joys :wub: tomorrow is another new day with more challenges.The battles i have now are who is the boss and who backs down.I have to make sure its me thats got all the shots,he just now has to learn to accept that concept. Its almost like training a dog on who is the master and who is the subordinate :whistle: He is 11 next month. and he is getting bigger and stronger,so hopefully we can get a lot more self control in the next year i :pray:

Mine is 15 going on 16 and his self control has virtually vanished ! Huge meltdown this morning started at 5 am (Later than usual, it's usually 3am !), calmed by 6:45am, then attempted to destroy the living roomand the TV set at 7:15, then floored me. For some it gets easier, for me it doesn't. So much for Rispiridone, water off a duck's back to him ! He totally calls all the shots at home with his Mum, who is scared to say no to him... which makes it obviously a LOT Harder for me. He hasn't attacked us direct yet, but it is coming....