Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Another Review query!

I'm posting this query on behalf of my friend...

Her daughter is in Year 6 and has just received a proposed amended statement for the transition to secondary. The Review meeting took place in December 2009. Consequently the reports are out of date and, in fact, her daughter now has further diagnoses.

On top of that, the amended statement is a farce. Part 2 doesn't name all her daughter's needs, even before the new diagnoses were made, and Part 3 is consequently woolly with very little specified or quantified. Is a pale version of her original statement.

My feeling is that the Review itself has not been properly conducted. She should not have had to wait 10 months since the Review meeting for the Review itself and the consequent amended statement to be produced - and now she's not sure, when this statement is finalised, when the next Review should take place??

Because of the 'unreasonable' delay, could she in fact ask that the Review be done again, this time properly, in which case the new diagnoses could be incorporated and a more up-to-date statement written?

Any advice gratefully received!!

Lizzie x

Because of the 'unreasonable' delay, could she in fact ask that the Review be done again, this time properly, in which case the new diagnoses could be incorporated and a more up-to-date statement written?

I suppose she could, as it's a year since the child's needs were last looked at, but is it worth it, given the delays inherent in the AR process? Whatever happens, the statement has to be finalised by Feb 15th. She could ask for a meeting to discuss the updated information and present the LEA with a list of amendments she wants. That will delay the issuing of the final statement of course. Is there likely to be a battle over part 4? If so, and there's no hope of getting what she needs by negotiating nicely, she may as well take the shortest route to SEND - i.e. let them get on with it, and appeal the final statement as soon as it's issued.

As to when the AR should be - who knows? She could write and ask what the official date of completion of the last AR is, and see what response she gets. She may alsowant to put in a complaint about their mis - handling of the process, both to the LEA and the Ombudsman.

K x

I suppose she could, as it's a year since the child's needs were last looked at, but is it worth it, given the delays inherent in the AR process? Whatever happens, the statement has to be finalised by Feb 15th. She could ask for a meeting to discuss the updated information and present the LEA with a list of amendments she wants. That will delay the issuing of the final statement of course. Is there likely to be a battle over part 4? If so, and there's no hope of getting what she needs by negotiating nicely, she may as well take the shortest route to SEND - i.e. let them get on with it, and appeal the final statement as soon as it's issued.

As to when the AR should be - who knows? She could write and ask what the official date of completion of the last AR is, and see what response she gets. She may alsowant to put in a complaint about their mis - handling of the process, both to the LEA and the Ombudsman.

K x

thanks Kathryn! There's no battle over part 4 - not at this stage - it's mainly because our lovely LA is stripping everything out, generalising the needs, generalising the provision... I'm sure one day they'll just produce a blank piece of paper for Part 2 and the same for Part 3... apparently we don't need statements anymore...!

Anyway, thanks, I'll pass that on.

Lizzie x