Sign in to follow this  
RainbowsButterflies

Newbie starting the diagnosis process

Hi all,

I'm currently just starting the diagnosis process and feeling a little overwhelmed. I've wondered for a while if I have some form of high functioning ASD, but as I'm currently studying a post-graduate course, I spoke to our Learning Support department last week about possible dyspraxia and ASDs. They have confirmed that I have a lot of indicators for dyslexia(?!) and dyspraxia, and I am having an assessment for those with an Educational Psychologist for those tomorrow, and that it sounds like I have ASD type difficulties, but I need to speak to my GP about them. My difficulties are most closely matched by PDA, but I think there are some aspects of AS as well - my biggest concern is that my nearly 3 year old is starting to manifest some of my behaviours (including pendantism and a real aversion to being asked to do anything - although that could just be being 2!) and that this is copied behaviour rather than her own tendencies.

I'm looking for guidance on the adult diagnosis process, and maybe to hear any strategies that other people use. I'm also training to be a secondary school teacher, so any advice from parents of ASD children that would help me to teach them effectively would be very useful as well.

Kathryn