Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Mental Health - genetic?

Going of from my mental health assessment thread, I am concerned that if Glen does have mental health problems it may be genetic, as my dad suffered with mental health issues, do you think this is possible?

I think it can be, but is not a forgone conclusion.

There are mental health issues on my mothers side of the family (going back a fair few generations - someone did a family tree). And it affects my mother, brother, niece etc. But the difficulties won't necessarily be the same eg. those affected have different diagnosis including clinical depression, paranoia/delusions, eating disorder, OCD etc.

Stress and anxiety play a large part in triggering these difficulties or making them worse.

many mental health issues do have a genetic element - if a parent suffers the child has a statistically higher chnce of suffering, but it's not guaranteed.

And we know s little about what causes most MH issues - genetically identical people (twins) may have completely different mental health, so there is more toit than genes...

Hi.There are very few forms of mental illness where there is a recognition that the cause is genetic.A few are like ASD where it is thought there is a genetic component however this may be one of many factors.

Karen.

Thanks for all the replies. My dad died 26 years ago now, he was much older than my mum. What I remember when I was young was he used to go away to a mental health hospital for about 3 months at a time and then when he came back he was much better again. He went away apparently because he just couldn't cope with things, my mum used to tell me that my dad suffers with his nerves. Thats the term used back then in the 70's.

Thanks for all the replies. My dad died 26 years ago now, he was much older than my mum. What I remember when I was young was he used to go away to a mental health hospital for about 3 months at a time and then when he came back he was much better again. He went away apparently because he just couldn't cope with things, my mum used to tell me that my dad suffers with his nerves. Thats the term used back then in the 70's.

Hi.

There were I think a lot of people who suffered from their nerves in the 60's and 70's.It is difficult to say now what diagnosis if any they would have been given.I know that my mum was on tranquillizers for a number of years.When I looked up the side effects a while ago I discovered that the side effects may have made matters worse rather than helping.It is now recognised that the medication my mum was on should be prescribed short term because of the risk of addiction.

On both sides of our family there are individuals who have suffered from anxiety and depression.At one time or another that would have included both my husband and myself.However statistics for mental health problems such as anxiety and depression suggest that in their lifetime at some point a large proportion of the population could be diagnosed with anxiety and depression either due to genetic predispotition,life circumstances or the two combined.

Karen.

There does seem to be a genetic component to some mental illnesses. But it does not necessarily mean that Glen has the same illness that your father did, nor that he would have it as severely if he did.