Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Confused after Annual Review!

So, had the early annual review yesterday and... still confused.

Our issues are these:

1. Background: DS1 (age 12, Y8) has a statement at mainstream secondary and the provision hasn't been in place since he started in Y7. This provision is mainly about having a keyworker, daily checkins with keyworker, a safe retreat, support in class (but not 1:1), social skills group, weekly 'additional needs' lesson (for want of a better description - ie developing strategies), weekly session for emotional skills management... and just basic understanding in class and throughout. His main needs are emotional and social, he has diagnosed anxiety disorders and is on anti-depressants.

2. Autism awareness at his current school is pants - we have evidence from teachers' comments.

3. School can't provide keyworker, only a TA to check in on him once or twice a week.

4. There is absolutely NOWHERE in the entire school that can be designated a safe retreat for him - despite the head of autism for the county saying at the review meeting that this is non-negotiable.

5. At the meeting we requested alternative placement, namely a mainstream secondary with autism base in neighbouring LA. Our request was recorded and then we had to set targets for this present school - which is so frustrating because we never move on from this point - it's like groundhog day!!! Yes strategies are agreed but not put in place.

6. Visited said autism base today, the day after the meeting, and I am overwhelmed. It has everything he needs. There are no spaces. However, crossover between the base and the main school is so excellent that his needs could most likely be met out of the unit, especially since there is so much expertise already on site and autism awareness if excellent.

7. Now I don't know what's happening!! The review meeting continued sort of as if we hadn't made the request, and it was agreed we would write a parental working document showing the amendments we want to Part 3 - which isn't masses, it just needs to be DONE! As I said, targets were set... but it all seems so pointless, because I know it won't work!!!

8. I want him at the other placement. What do I do? Do I now write a parental working document that describes the autism base explicitly? Thing is, his current Part 3 isn't far off! But I'm sure it could be more precise...

9. Should I say I want him to go to the other school, it doesn't have to be the unit, but transport would need to be in place - got there at 8.30am this morning in under an hour, which isn't bad - takes my Y6 son 1.5hrs to get to his special school by taxi.

10. Or should I go the whole hog and appeal to SEND for a place in the unit?

Help!

Lizzie :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Hi,

If it were me, I'd send in a request for Part 4 to be amended to name the school that you want. You now have the right to appeal if they refuse to amend following an Annual Review.

Doesn't seem much point putting anything new down on paper for the current school, if they are not even doing what they are supposed to do now.

You could change to the main part of the new school and see how it goes. Once he is there, if it becomes clear that he needs the unit, then at the next annual review, you could ask for that to be specified - ask others on here who have children at units how that is indicated on their statement i.e. is it specifically mentioned in Part 4 or is the need to be in the unit described in Part 3?

You could spend years trying to get them to comply at his current school.

Are there places in the main part of the new school, because as far I as I can make out, they could not refuse a change if there are. They can only refuse if it cost significantly more (transport?), if it could not meet his needs (sounds like it can) and it would be detrimental to the education of the other children (no).

If you end up at tribunal, I'd go for the unit - much easier to get him moved to the main part in the future than the other way round.

Only my opinion, but if you have found a maintained school that just clicks when you go around it, I'd say go for it!

Best Wishes

Grace/x

Edited by Grace

I would go request part 4 state the school or Unit you want your son to attend.

what is aparent is that the present school is not meetin his needs and it is effecting his development and basically everyone is ignoring that fact, there is nothing more frustrating and infuriating than been Ignored.

By the sounds of your post your well impressed with this new school?

JsMumx

Edited by JsMum

I would agree with both Jsmum and Grace,it can be very hard if a school just don''t 'get it'and it seems like your DS is having a hard time. Good luck >:D<<'>

I've sort of been in a similar situation.

My son was in a mainstream primary school and they just did not have a clue.

I wanted my son moved to the another LEA maintained primary school, which is the only one that is classed as 'enhanced resource' for children with ASD. It also has an autism unit.

However the autism unit was full, and the peer group was not right.

So I requested a placement at that school as a mainstream pupil and he transferred to that school with his Statement.

I had to provide transport initially.

We still sent in our appeal under sections 2, 3 and 4 and turned up at tribunal.

What you need to remember is that whether he is in the mainstream part of the school or the autism unit they have to fulfill the Statement. So make sure the Statement is specific. If that school is much better then they will allow him time in the unit if he needs that, and you can appeal for a placement in the unit to be detailed in the Statement at a later date.

If his current school are not fulfilling the Statement eventhough it is itemised, the only other option you have is writing to the LEA about non-compliance. But it sounds like you don't want that placement anyway as you have lost confidence in it.

It is simply unacceptable for the school to say they do not have staff available, or a suitable quiet area available. Those needs are detailed and specified in the Statement and have to be met. The funding of the Statement is the responsibility of the LEA. The school will more than likely be able to apply for extra funding to fulfil the Statement - but they just are not doing it. And if school does not have any way to access the funding needed to support the Statement, then the LEA is responsible to ensure it is funded from their own budget.

If you move from mainstream to mainstream then the LEA cannot refuse. But they may refuse to provide transport if it is further then his current school.

I think you should submit your parental comments and seek a placement at this other school if you can provide transport for the forseeable future. And I would include in your comments every single item in the Statement that is not being provided currently and say that the current placement has demonstrated that they cannot meet his needs.

Edited by Sally44

If your sons Statement contains anything about small group work and low arousal environments or anxiety in whole class environments etc, then even if he is not in an autism unit, the Statement is describing that kind of environment he needs. So small group size should be specified ie. how many children. And the environment should be specified as well. So if it says he should work in small groups of up to 5 children, that is what should happen. And sitting on a table with 5 other children within the whole class environment is not fulfilling the Statement. It is 5 children in a quiet low arousal environment with no other children present.

It is worth considering the above if you are appealing so that you get the kind of environment right.

Can your son access whole class teaching all the time?

1. Background: DS1 (age 12, Y8) has a statement at mainstream secondary and the provision hasn't been in place since he started in Y7. This provision is mainly about having a keyworker, daily checkins with keyworker, a safe retreat, support in class (but not 1:1), social skills group, weekly 'additional needs' lesson (for want of a better description - ie developing strategies), weekly session for emotional skills management... and just basic understanding in class and throughout. His main needs are emotional and social, he has diagnosed anxiety disorders and is on anti-depressants.

for a school to accept a child with a statement the school has to agree they can meet there needs, its clear from the very beginning they couldnt meet his needs due not been able to provide the provisions he NEEDS.

So why did the school agree to even except him, one of Js MS Secondary schools which I Loved said they wouldnt be able to meet his needs, even with full time one to one because just the enviroement was causing J great distress and anxiety, when a child is in fight/flight, anxious and tense if effects there learning, social, behavioural outcome.

I think the school he is in should of been honest from the start, So I dont understand why they cant just admit they can not meet his needs if none of the provision has never materialised, the only thing I can think is that there happy to except the funding he comes with, but not commit to any of it.

JsMumx

In our case the Head of my son's former school told me that schools cannot say they cannot meet the child's needs because of the governments "inclusion" agenda and DDA laws. But after a couple of years she did write me a very useful letter which helped with getting the Statement.

I don't know to what extent that is true, but it means that there is a political agenda instead of a child centred one.

If you feel the Head of his current school may support a move, then it is worth having a meeting with them. Say that you do not feel the current school can meet his needs and have found another mainstream school that you feel is much more suitable and would like to move him there. Say that you are worried about transport issues as the LEA may say that his current school is closer and a better use of resources. Ask her if she would support you in your decision.

The Head may struggle to agree that they cannot meet his needs because that means admitting the staff/school have failed him. So keep bringing the subject back to 'meeting his needs' and being happier in school etc.

It might help to concentrate her mind if you point out the non-compliance issues.

She may surprise you and be very supportive, even if that is only because she wants your son out of her school, if that works in your favour then thats good.

for a school to accept a child with a statement the school has to agree they can meet there needs, its clear from the very beginning they couldnt meet his needs due not been able to provide the provisions he NEEDS.

So why did the school agree to even except him, one of Js MS Secondary schools which I Loved said they wouldnt be able to meet his needs, even with full time one to one because just the enviroement was causing J great distress and anxiety, when a child is in fight/flight, anxious and tense if effects there learning, social, behavioural outcome.

I think the school he is in should of been honest from the start, So I dont understand why they cant just admit they can not meet his needs if none of the provision has never materialised, the only thing I can think is that there happy to except the funding he comes with, but not commit to any of it.

JsMumx

Mainstream schools are I think placed in a very difficult position.They are funded to a large degree by the Local Authority.It is very difficult for the School to say that they are unable to meet a child's needs because the LA are very likely to be very unhappy.

Edited by Karen A

JsMumx

It's very, very disappointing, to say the least! When we first got the statement in y6, I actually sat down with the secondary school senco and told her exactly what we felt needed changing when we appealed to SEND. I showed her my version of what the statement should say, and we went through Part 3 together to get it right. The LA eventually agreed to it all before we reached the tribunal.

I feel very much that I have been deceived, since nothing of what the Senco and I worked out has been implemented. Interestingly, as i've mentioned in previous posts, my friend approached the school re her son a year later, and was told that the school doesn't take much notice of the statements anyway - they like to do things their way and delegated funding is supposed to allow them to do this. I wish I'd known that at the time, I'd have run a mile!!!

Thanks all who've posted, it's helpful.

I think that the school is genuinely so thick-skinned that it doesn't realise it's not meeting his needs. I thinks all is OK - he's achieving adequately academically and teachers 'see no signs of his AS or anxiety in class'. yet he's falling apart and there's abundant evidence and documentation showing that.

The head teacher is not involved - are they ever at secondary school? The deputy head was involved last year but she wasn't at this review meeting. The Senco is nice, but she has 'so many fingers in the dam' ie to stop the leaks that she faces an impossible task.

For us one of the most difficult things is that the school we've identified is in a neighbouring LA. However the set-up is so different that it totally justifies us trying to get a place there. It's a mainstream school with an autism base, which sadly has no spaces, but provides a fantastic resource to the main SEN department in the main school in any case, and there are other autistic pupils at the school with or without statements; and it also has an inclusion unit that provides pastoral care, mentoring, counselling...

Ay caramba, it's got his name written all over it! So I think we could build a really good case for saying why this school can meet his needs, because it's just not an ordinary secondary. Although I don't know yet if there are spaces in his year! But at least the chances of a space coming up in a group of 100 is more likely than in a group of four (at the autism unit)...

Thanks all, it's so helpful to know that you are out there and care!!

:notworthy:

Lizzie >:D<<'>

Edited by BusyLizzie100

It's very, very disappointing, to say the least! When we first got the statement in y6, I actually sat down with the secondary school senco and told her exactly what we felt needed changing when we appealed to SEND. I showed her my version of what the statement should say, and we went through Part 3 together to get it right. The LA eventually agreed to it all before we reached the tribunal.

I feel very much that I have been deceived, since nothing of what the Senco and I worked out has been implemented. Interestingly, as i've mentioned in previous posts, my friend approached the school re her son a year later, and was told that the school doesn't take much notice of the statements anyway - they like to do things their way and delegated funding is supposed to allow them to do this. I wish I'd known that at the time, I'd have run a mile!!!

Thanks all who've posted, it's helpful.

I think that the school is genuinely so thick-skinned that it doesn't realise it's not meeting his needs. I thinks all is OK - he's achieving adequately academically and teachers 'see no signs of his AS or anxiety in class'. yet he's falling apart and there's abundant evidence and documentation showing that.

The head teacher is not involved - are they ever at secondary school? The deputy head was involved last year but she wasn't at this review meeting. The Senco is nice, but she has 'so many fingers in the dam' ie to stop the leaks that she faces an impossible task.

For us one of the most difficult things is that the school we've identified is in a neighbouring LA. However the set-up is so different that it totally justifies us trying to get a place there. It's a mainstream school with an autism base, which sadly has no spaces, but provides a fantastic resource to the main SEN department in the main school in any case, and there are other autistic pupils at the school with or without statements; and it also has an inclusion unit that provides pastoral care, mentoring, counselling...

Ay caramba, it's got his name written all over it! So I think we could build a really good case for saying why this school can meet his needs, because it's just not an ordinary secondary. Although I don't know yet if there are spaces in his year! But at least the chances of a space coming up in a group of 100 is more likely than in a group of four (at the autism unit)...

Thanks all, it's so helpful to know that you are out there and care!!

:notworthy:

Lizzie >:D<<'>

I just wish we could do more than care........ :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::)

Could you start a 'free school' Karen? :jester:

I could but I like having my lates and gym time........ :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::lol:

I may care but not that much. :devil:

Since I am going to be without income in 2013 perhaps I will set one up then. :o

Edited by Karen A