Sign in to follow this  
av16

Advice Please

Hi, DS now in yr 9 has started getting detentions again. Reasons given are disruptive behaviour and I know this needs to be addressed but.. one teacher has said she's given him several short detentions, it hasn't worked so she's giving him more. I want him to understand the effect of his disruptive behaviour but I know that detentions will probably have little effect. The school doesn't have anything else to offer in getting him to modify his behaviour. I want to go in and discuss it with the teacher. Have you got any ideas about what I could suggest other than detention ?

Thanks

The first step is possibly to analyse what's going on to see if the behaviour can be stopped before it gets to that point. Does he understand what he's doing wrong? Does he have insight into what's leading up to it? If it's a result of stress, do the teachers need to be aware of the trigger points so adjustments need to be made? Are there patterns - i.e. is it always happening in one class, with one teacher, when certain demands are made? Is there provocation?

As to sanctions, I suppose it would depend on what works for you, and what fits in with what is practically possible for the school. Why don't detentions work? Would withdrawal of privileges e.g. computer work instead? Would a reward system be better? Ask to see the school's own behaviour policy - there may be something in there you could suggest which they haven't tried.

Sorry - lots of questions but no answers!

K x

Hi.

Could I suggest that there are several other issues within a school which could contribute to a child's behaviour.I can think of several off the top of my head which might be worth exploring.

A move between school buildings with more pupils now on the same site.

Senior management being extremely stressed and not able to support other staff.

A lack of support for senior management from the LA at a time when members of the public are asking whether a school is fit for purpose and suggesting to parents that they should move their children elsewhere.

Support not being provided in line with Statements.Such as ASD outreach.

A large number of pupils may be extremely anxious.Which impacts the atmosphere within the school.

Communication with parents may well be an issue.Although it effects all parents by definition it impacts those with children of SEN more.

A possible pending serious case review perhaps [ :unsure: ] which could create extreme anxiety for staff and governors.

A new SENCO in post.

Staff who are not coping for valid reasons attempting to cope by being tighter on discipline but with no consistent plan.

A general atmosphere of anxiety within a school and lack of stability due to events which impacts those pupils who particularly need routine.

Concern about applications for year 7 next year.

Any incident within a school which could lead to anxiety about further incidents which could lead to increased anxiety about health and safety which could lead to staff feeling the need to clamp down on any behaviour that might be seen as detrimental to health and safety.

A high level of anxiety amongst and distress amongst a large number of pupils which is displayed in more challenging behaviour than usual perhaps which may well be very normal in some circumstances but may well not be understood by some staff.This might lead to a knee jerk reaction in increased discipline.

A large number of new staff in September who are not aware of which pupils have ASD.

A lack of adequate training across the school in ASD due to reluctance to engage with outside agencies.

Perhaps the school might like to engage with ASD outreach and obtain support in how to understand your son's behaviour.They may be very willing to provide support [perhaps as documented in the Statemet] if school are willing to involve them rather than using strategies without understanding the reasons behind difficult behaviour.There may be some excellent people who would be very happy to be involved.

Most of these ideas do not answer your specific question.However I think that perhaps standard answers posted might miss broader very significant issues. :)

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

have they explained what Disruptive behaviour he is displaying, it maybe that he needs specific stratagies to conform and engage with the lesson, does your son give any explanation to why he reacts the way he does in the classroom, is his behaviour disruptive in other parts of the school? is he recieving any additional support and is his needs identified, what are the percentages of how many detentions other students receive, if your son is recieiving more than normal detentions then it needs further investigating to why that is,it could be there just managing your sons SENs efficiently.

JsMum

Here is some info.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/behaviour/schooldisciplinepupilbehaviourpolicies/nonstatguidanceforheadsandstaff/punishingpoorbehaviour/

If the longer version detentions dont work what is there next step? internal exclusion, fixed timed exclusion ect...

I would contact National Autistic Society Education help line.

JsMumx