pixie

Advice regarding regression

My son is now almost 19 and was doing so well but these last few months have been difficult, to say the least, and my son seems to have regressed over the last few weeks to what he was like when he was much younger.

My husband became distant and cold and then left us back in April. He had his head turned by a younger woman and left us to be with her.

Since then things have not been easy, having our family pet put to sleep due to illness, lots of arguments with the other woman on facebook between her and my son. Having to get a car, sort out the house so we could stay here etc. Most recently the death of his great grandma.

My son is now hardly talking, finds it difficult to eat, is afraid of going out as well as being afraid of seeing his Dad and "her" out. When I go to hug him he pulls back more often than not and his eye contact is poor. He has lost interest in most things in life.

This is a young man who was functioning almost at a level of any other 18 year old, having mates, having fun, drinking, dancing enjoying college, eating normally and experimenting with different foods, no real tummy problems any more etc.

He has been put onto Prozac 3 weeks ago but so far no improvement. I know it can take longer to start working but I did think I would see something by now.

Has anyone else any experience of this happening or any references to it please.

Hi.It can take a while for prozac to work and it may not be the right medication.It can take a while to find the best medication and dosage.Do you have another appointment booked ?

Karen.

Hi.It can take a while for prozac to work and it may not be the right medication.It can take a while to find the best medication and dosage.Do you have another appointment booked ?

Karen.

Thanks for your reply Karen.

He is seeing the GP next week and the week after the psyhchiatrist.

I expect they will be pleased as he is eating more than he was and is not suicidal but it's been a shock to me to see him regress so much and lose interest in more or less everything.

I expect I will just have to be patient but just wondered if anyone else here had experience of this with their own young person and could give me a few pointers.

Thanks for your help. :)

i have been there myself like your son losing interest everything it's the hopeless of the depression hangs over everything surrounding your life drags you down with it makes feel what's the point in trying!!! i been on prozac myself that first anti-Dp's meds i was prescribed at CAMHS by pyschtrist and last one i was on called paroxetine is suppose to help alot people with A.S with MH probs such depression,anxiety, social anxiety disorder Obssessional compulsions etc i also been on mirtazapine the only true one i felt had some kind of positive outcome and effect was paroxetine as the doc i saw matched A.S with the meds so that was useful as most symptoms meds work on is what A.S causes MH wise he probably struggling overwhelmed find hard express how he feeling and why i know i did ... and can become very lonely isolated trapped place which dark it's horrid to be in such situation where feel have no control whatsoever it tough going so i know how your son feels it hard to get equal balance on mood right with any MH probs with A.S ....

good luck with him seeing G.P and pysch appointments do you go with him? or does he go on his own? does he see he has lose interest in 'everything' as one symptoms of depression of what he normally enjoys that withdrawing backing away!

XKLX

Hi.

I read your post with interest as it reminded me of a similar experience with my own son now aged 15, who has AS.

Last year my ex husband decided to bow out of my childrens lives completely (as to why, im not sure..although im convinced that he also has AS). This came as a huge shock to my children and it was also a very harsh thing for them to have to deal with.

My younger NT dd dealt with this is her own way (bless her) but athough at the time my son said 'he wasn't bothered', i think it affected him some months later by way of 'regression'.

My son lost all ability to look after himself, spent hours...days even in his bedroom, lost his appetite and took to sleeping with his childhood toys.

It was very upsetting to see him like that and nothing i said or did at the time made any difference. It was also a very lonely experience for me, as it felt like i was the only one dealing with such problems.

I have to say that there was no 'magic wand' to sort things out but i made sure he knew i was always there and i tried to keep communicating with him on a daily basis..even if just to ask him if he was okay. After about six weeks he finally began opening up, explaining that he didn't want to grow up and that he wished he could stay 'little' for ever. I imagined that the knowledge that someone will always look after and nuture you when your young was something to do with it...not least of all, that when your 'little' you are somewhat 'protected' by harsh reality.!!

Im obviously no psychatrist(think thats how you spell it!) but i learned from my own experience that maybe some AS children/teens, need this regression as a way of dealing with trauma's and difficulties. There is also some evidence to suggest that those with AS, are more likely to suffer from depression, which may also fit these symptoms.

We are taking each day as it comes but im glad to say that since that time, (aside from a few minor blips) my family is just fine.!

Hopefully with time your son will improve and recover. Keep smiling(if poss!!)and good luck.

Bee :)

Edited by Beebee