Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

DLA for Adult

Hi I have been filling the DLA renewal forms in for my son Glen, still haven't finished yet! As he is over 16 he nows comes under the Adult DLA. I am having to fill the forms in as he is unable to do it for himself, I have ticked a couple of boxes which stated 'if someone else has to fill the forms in for you', I have also enclosed to letters one from the GP and one from the head teacher of the School stated Glen is unable to sign his name and also 'he has learning difficulties' and his Mum is his appointee. Do you think all this information will be sufficient as proof as why I am having to fill in the forms for him?

In my experience there was no problem with me filling in forms for my son - it is common practice for DLA. The content of the form will no doubt indicate that Glen is not capable of managing his affairs.

Just to give you a heads up - once the forms have gone in, the DWP will arrange for a home visit. A benefits person will come to your home and meet with you and Glen, to confirm that your being his appointee is being done in his best interests and with his consent (if he is able to give it.) I was a bit anxious and intimidated by the thought of this visit, but it was actually no problem and over in a few minutes. It is just to check that there is no abuse or exploitation going on.

The same happened with us when my son turned 16. The lady came to the house and asked a few questions. Had a chat with him and said she would appoint me. The form is really different to the child one isn't it? It seemed inappropriate in places as he was only 15 at the time. It was difficult thinking of him as the adult they were talking about. When they come to meet with you you will need to give them details of a bank account in your name that only the DLA goes into.

I already had someone come to the house once Glen was approaching 16 to have a chat to discuss the fact Glen would be going onto the adult forms soon, so will I still have someone else come out to see myself and Glen once they receive the forms?

I don't think I'm likely to get anymore callers hope not anyway!