Sign in to follow this  
Utahraptor

New. Struggling. Hello!

Hey, all. I'm a 27 year-old chap from North Wales. I've not been diagnosed, but I recently started researching Asperger's and discovered, much to my dismay, that my entire personality was available in pamphlet form. Just started the diagnosis process (ie. asked a GP who was very nice but had no idea what I was on about and promised to send me a letter from his psychologist friends). At the moment, I'm just very weirded out and a little crushed by the idea, if I'm honest. I'm glad to have found this forum as I can't really talk about my suspicions to anyone and you all seem like a nice bunch. Speak to you soon. Thanks - Mart.

Hi Mart, and welcome to the forum.

It can be a very confusing time when you first realise you may have Asperger's.

For me it has been overall very positive to find other people like myself and the understanding of WHY I am different has helped me work out new ways of coping. I am managing a lot better now.

may help you is books reading up getting more knowledge and understanding behind the hidden you in background helped me alot when first diagnosed as was just handed leaflets to read wasn't v. helpful/useful tip /advice so found own and did my own research into A.S and worked out alot in my head pieced 'missing parts' slowly together and 'stuff' started finally making sense of why i did what i did.... why i acted/behaved way i did etc gave some 'answers' to 'mystery questions' can be hard when first recieve diagnosis give yourself time process through what you been told as alot take in in one go take it easy do it in bits ....!!! don't rush through trying to find 'everything' alot as won't work get annoyed frustrated may feel a range of emotions'thoughts ,feelings at the moment anger sadness depressed bitterness curiousity confusion lost in maze mind field is alot to sieve through but learn and pick new 'things' didn't know about A.S or what related to A.S everyday it strange weird process to go through feels like 'another you' another identity etc hard get head around and adjust life to make easier less stressful ,anxious ..... list goes on and on i asked local library if have any books on A.S and start reading ....!!!

hope that helps abit

Hey, thanks! That sounds pretty spot on. It's weird, but it is fascinating. Like finishing a puzzle you didn't even realise you'd started. I'm slowly working through a list of books I've seen mentioned on here. Very helpful so far. Thanks!