Sign in to follow this  
indiscreet

AS - not as rare as once thought?

Not so very long ago AS in adults was never discussed and presumably never considered. Now that it is it's logical to assume that more and more adults realise that this has been their problem all their lives and will seek diagnosis and confirmation - one way or another.

A big problem I can see is that AS varies so much from person to person NTs are becoming a little cynical about claims that that certain individuals have AS, partly because it's said to be so rare and also partly because many adults have taught themselves over the years to 'cover up' and 'fake' so effectively that not even those close to them would believe that they are different from the NT majority.

It seems to me that we really need diagnosis by brain-scan - if it can be made as efficient and revealing as in the case of other brain abnormalities. In this way there will be none of the doubts and uncertainties that arise from the present method of diagnosis. Also, I suggest those of us with AS will find that we are not as small a minority as is presently thought.

Not so very long ago AS in adults was never discussed and presumably never considered. Now that it is it's logical to assume that more and more adults realise that this has been their problem all their lives and will seek diagnosis and confirmation - one way or another.

A big problem I can see is that AS varies so much from person to person NTs are becoming a little cynical about claims that that certain individuals have AS, partly because it's said to be so rare and also partly because many adults have taught themselves over the years to 'cover up' and 'fake' so effectively that not even those close to them would believe that they are different from the NT majority.

It seems to me that we really need diagnosis by brain-scan - if it can be made as efficient and revealing as in the case of other brain abnormalities. In this way there will be none of the doubts and uncertainties that arise from the present method of diagnosis. Also, I suggest those of us with AS will find that we are not as small a minority as is presently thought.

Hi indiscreet -

I agree a brain-scan test would be very helpful, but in a recent thread it was clear it wouldn't meet with everyone's approval:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/25745-mri-dx-on-its-way/

As I said in that thread, my own concern would be that any inconclusives - in this case they talk about 6% - would become the focus of huge debate. Others find the idea impractical for other reasons.

There are two ways of looking at the huge 'growth' you mention in AS diagnosis. One is improved recognition, which is certainly part of the answer, but the other is widening definitions, which is also part of the answer. Opinion will vary on which contributes most to the growth we are seeing.

Trying to think of an analogy that fits - if tomorrow you made the word 'fish' (which actually doesn't have a meaning, according to QI!)inclusive of shellfish, bi-valves, crustaceans, plankton, etc etc then you'd see a huge rise in the tonnage of the world's estimated fish stocks. The answer, as you rightly say, is to have a more precise definition of the word 'fish' and a reliable model to qualify the definition. At the moment, autism - particularly 'AS' - doesn't really have one, leading to unhelpful perceptions like 'we are all somewhere on the spectrum'.

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

Hi. I totally agree with you about the brain scan. My son is currently in the process of being diagnosed but it is such a long process and i'm not really getting anywhere at the moment because of it. It would save so much time just by having a brain scan...also, they might pick up other neurological disorders this way, such as brain damage (which has been suggested to me that my son might have...caused by lack of oxygen as a baby).

Since I have been researching the signs of AS, I feel that more than likely, I have it too. What you said about adults teaching themselves to cover up their traits makes a lot of sense to me. I often catch myself rocking,blinking and flicking my fingers but I think I hide it well when I am around people. The only thing anyone has ever noticed is that I don't make eye contact and I blink alot.

Just to finish. I am quite sure that alot of people are misdiagnosed either with or without AS and in my opinion, a brain scan would verify (on top of an assessment) whether or not the person would have the disorder.

Hi indiscreet -

I agree a brain-scan test would be very helpful, but in a recent thread it was clear it wouldn't meet with everyone's approval:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/Index.php?/topic/25745-mri-dx-on-its-way/

As I said in that thread, my own concern would be that any inconclusives - in this case they talk about 6% - would become the focus of huge debate. Others find the idea impractical for other reasons.

There are two ways of looking at the huge 'growth' you mention in AS diagnosis. One is improved recognition, which is certainly part of the answer, but the other is widening definitions, which is also part of the answer. Opinion will vary on which contributes most to the growth we are seeing.

Trying to think of an analogy that fits - if tomorrow you made the word 'fish' (which actually doesn't have a meaning, according to QI!)inclusive of shellfish, bi-valves, crustaceans, plankton, etc etc then you'd see a huge rise in the tonnage of the world's estimated fish stocks. The answer, as you rightly say, is to have a more precise definition of the word 'fish' and a reliable model to qualify the definition. At the moment, autism - particularly 'AS' - doesn't really have one, leading to unhelpful perceptions like 'we are all somewhere on the spectrum'.

L&P

BD

I agree :thumbs: Also it may seem there are lot's of adults with AS but it could be that they think they have AS and do not have an official diagnosis.People look for a reason for certain behaviour and so they assume its medical/mental condition however its very rare that it is the case.

As always if you willing to pay for the answers you want you will get it.