Sign in to follow this  
BaffledOwl1970

Setting Up AS Blog

Hi - I want to set up a blog about living with AS and schizophrenia. Does anyone know of the best site I can use to do this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone - will look at them all and see which one suits me best.

Out of interest, is there any doubts about the diagnosis of Schizophrenia? I ask because as an Aspie I was misdiagnosed Schizophrenic, primarily because I said my mother's boyfriend was being mentally abusive to me but he and my mother denied it. My mother had actually just been on a Psychiatric ward herself for Schizophrenia and the boyfriend was a fellow patient whom she brought home as soon as she was discharged. So given my AS symptoms, what appeared to be paranoia (but was not), and a family history, I was misdiagnosed Schizophrenic. I would say one key indicator of you not having Schizophrenia is if the atypical anti-psychotics like Risperidone, Amisulrpide, Clozapine, Olanzapine etc do not "work". When I was prescribed them I had severe complications from the side-effects as they kept increasing the dose to far above the maximum levels recommended in the hope it would make me better.

Anyway I won't go on about it as only you know if you really did hear voices and have beliefs regarding thought insertion/control/broadcast and so on, and if drugs do control it. But if you do want to discuss it further I am happy to as I have an obvious interest in this area.

How do you manage bad comments on your bloggs? I have set up a blog with a do-it-yourself website package. I haven't told anyone about it yet (well, I suppose I've told you lot now), so it is out there still kind of invisible, which I am happy about at the moment. I suppose I will tell people when I am ready, perhaps in the next month of so. It is at present just me putting down my planned life journey:bounce:(my ups and downs). I plan to progress with the website as I go along.

There is often a "control panel" which lets you change settings. Sometimes you can set it so comments have to be approved before being added. Often there is a moderation option to delete comments. Play around with it with a mock account and see what you can find, and try a few other providers.

Hi Anewman - I queried the schizophrenia diagnosis but my psychiatrist is adamant I do have it. I've used 5 different antipsychotics and they all worked except for 1 which was so sedating I stopped it after 1 dose - I now take 750mg quetiapine and it helps. I also know an Aspie guy who was misdiagnosed and has suffered horribly because of it. All this is one reason why I'm keen to do a blog.

I've just looked at wordpress and it's amazing, can't believe I was so intent on messing around with PHP and CSS code and doing a site from the ground up.

I think Psychiatrists will often not admit they are wrong, because if they do there is the risk of being sued and so on. When I was misdiagnosed it was a case of "stop drugs to observe without", presumably hoping I would start going on about hearing voices and saying weird things, and nothing else was said about it then.

Here is my poor effort at a blog http://www.asemp.co.uk/ after some fiddling with widgets and themes. It probably won't go anywhere but hey :)

To do similar you would need a domain name £6 for 2 years at http://www.ukreg.com and hosting with PHP and MySql e.q. http://www.qiq.co.uk/hosting.php £25 a year for basic hosting (there may be cheaper but I don't know). Then you upload and install the wordpress software and play around with the control panel and settings.

Or an easier solution is https://en.wordpress.com/signup/ which gives you a free subdomain on wordpress.com.

There is often a "control panel" which lets you change settings. Sometimes you can set it so comments have to be approved before being added. Often there is a moderation option to delete comments. Play around with it with a mock account and see what you can find, and try a few other providers.

Thanks Anewman,

I have had to leave everything for now, due to exhaustion, but I will try and work it out.

Thanks