Sign in to follow this  
anewman

Warehouse packer job application, education/disability on CV?

I have noticed a job advertised as a warehouse packer for which I intend to apply. The company claims to have an equal opportunities policy regarding sex, race, disability, marital status, age and so on. The advertisement states to apply with a CV/written application.

I guess my main concerns are: a ) how to present my disability, and B ) whether my education will be seen as a reason to not employ me, even though if I was that good I'd have had a job by now. I guess basically I am hoping for any hints, tips or suggestions which are likely to help net me the job. I think as the employer claims to have an equal opportunities policy it would be helpful to stress the disability.

The CV I have put together is below.

Voluntary work experience

Generic museum. September 2010 - January 2011.

Museum Assistant

Catalogued books on to an Access Database

Charitable organisation, Town. March 2006

Website designer

Improved the website design, layout, and accessibility using XHTML and CSS

Education

University. 2006 - 2008

MSc Pass with Merit - Psychological Approaches to Health

University. 2002 - 2005

BSc First Class Honours - Psychology

College, Town. 1998 - 2002

A levels: Mathematics [ B ], Information & Communication Technology [ B ], Psychology [C]

GCSE’s: 5 subjects, grades A-C (including English Language and Mathematics)

School, Town. 1991 - 1996

Did not sit GCSE examinations due to serious bullying from others

Additional information

Driving

I have a full clean UK driving licence.

Disability

I have a disability called Asperger Syndrome. It is a mild form of autism which primarily affects my ability to communicate socially. The condition presents some obstacles in obtaining employment, notably in interviews. I feel this disability is the primary reason for my lack of previous employment. My educational history and previous voluntary work experience proves I am capable of work, and that my poor employment history is not due to laziness or inability.

References

Available on request

Thanks very much in advance for any helpful replies. :thumbs:

Dear Newman,

I send you a link on an Australian network with the discussion about employment. I found some contributions very helpful.

Please have a look.

The best of luck.

Tanya :)

http://autismsupportnetwork.leveragesoftware.com/group_discussion.aspx?DiscussionID=6c10dff92f004531a43a9cc8d4b8db58#ixzz18VCYUdpQ

The main cncern the employer will have is that you are massively overqualified for the job,and therefore will leave in a few months having used them to boost your CV. You need to put something in there about how you feel you would be best suited to this type of work for whatever reason you can come up with;) - is it very local? good hours? totally solitary? etc

Also, warehouse operative will probably require quite a lot of communication skills - you will be part of a large team. Put in there that you can communicate on a professional level, but find social/new situations more difficult.

Good luck

I would also remove the comments that will appear negative, about bullying and why your career history is patchy.

You don't need to explain why you didn't complete GCSEs at school, it will be enough to say you did them at college.

I think it would also be better to explain your career history in a positive way rather than using 'negative' terms like 'lazy'.

HTH and good luck.

Bid :)

Edited by bid