Mishmash

How to introduce AS to AS child?

Hi all, need help on this one. Little one had a total meltdown last night (his first one) and it scared him. He was yelling, throwing things, sobbing uncontrollably, etc. This went on till 11 o'clock (he's only 8). It got worse as he got worse (if that makes sense) he ended up so agree at himself for being horrible, etfc he was calling himslef names, saying he was stupid, what use does he have. He wants to run away but who wouldn't coz he loves me, but do I love him really, etc,etc. The he started saying, what's wrong with me, what's wrong with me, why am I doing this, it's horrible and so on.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can introduce AS to him without him feeling even more freaked out than he is. I need to find a way to make it more of a positive thing (which in so many ways it is), and then he can know that we can work through the rough patches.

Oh I went to my first support group yesterday, what a relief!! :thumbs:

Thanks

Mishmash xx

Can I Tell You About Asperger Syndrome?: A Guide for Friends and Family by Jude Welton and Jane Telford.

People on here will be sick of me banging on about this little book but it really helped my daughter and the rest of our close family. My daughter was diagnosed at 9 and was beginning to notice there was something different about her ways of thinking and it was making her feel anxious. She feels much more relaxed and really seems to like herself now. She doesn't talk much about AS but she feels secure that there is a known explanation for the way her mind works and that when problems arise there are known strategies we can employ to help her. She also likes feeling part of a community rather than feeling like she was the only one who thought her way.

I used Can I Tell You About Asperger Syndrome and All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome. They really helped my son and family.