Sign in to follow this  
pola y dobie

Legal Issues

>:D<<'> Both Dobie and I are looking into and examining the issues of wills and power of attorneys for each other. My only experience of these are from the Spanish way of life!! Any information or advice would be grateful, especially with the AS aspect.

:notworthy: Thanks for any advice etc and your expriences

POLA XX

You should definitely write a will!!!

If you live between Spain and the UK, do check out that your wishes can be carried out with regards to your assets in Spain under Spanish inheritance law. In some countries it is the law that funds have to be set aside for family members, so it may not be possible for you to leave everything for each other.

My grandad recently died in Belgium leaving a will that cannot be carried out legally. It is leading to all kinds of problems within the family.

For most people those DIY will-writing kits are perfectly adequate, but if you live (and presumably have assets) in two separate countries, that complicates things and you may be best seeing solicitors in both countries to make sure your wills are watertight.

You have to appoint an executor to basically dish out the money according to your will and carry out the paperwork. Each other may not be the best person to do this, and you may prefer to appoint a trusted relative. It's a good idea to talk things over with your executor to check that they are willing to carry out this role and understand your wishes, particularly in relation to personal effects - money is much easier to define clearly.

Also remember to consider what you would like to happen in the event you die together.

>:D<<'> >:D< Thanks Tally for your help. I didn't know if having AS would affect a legality of having a will? (still an NT Novice). POLA xx