Sign in to follow this  
rachel scothern

Hi just joined

Hi my name is Rachel I have a little Boy Dylan Scothern Feel free to google him....he is 6 years old and has ASD.. He has been on the local news because the primary Care trust have cut his speach and language therapy they say because he is over 5. Dylan can only say a few words. Seems like a write of to me.... I think it should go on need not on age ....has anyone going through this.................

i agree totally that should go on need not age however long the support is needed reuqired should be there for child access to improve on Speech and language skills didn't know age had anything to do with support being withdrawn as this will help him develop skills further ....denying him the right is SO WRONG! do you know if down to funding cuts? have you wrote to local MP? make them aware? does he get any other source of support from outside services elsewhere? do you use PECS system with him?

XKLX

Yes funding cuts is the reason been on the radio,on bbc east midlands today news, central new and the Nottingham evening post. written to David Camron that was a waste of time. My local MP Vernon Coaker has taken it to questions in parliment...... so sad Google Dylan Scothern to see..

Yes I have used PECS before. He's not to keen he likes to help himself to stuff....got some behaviour issues

has you tried persisting with PECS system even though he not keen he may not like due to frustrations!? i saw that took your son's case to parliment feel like on 'losing fight/battle' it's so sad that has come to this ending up suffering and being set back due the country's debt! and losing services that are critical to moving forward /his overall future progress!!!

what behaviour issues you having with him? anger /aggression lashing out? do you think behaviour down to lakc of support input now being put in to speech and language so many him so frustrated inside of him and his world?

no worries REALLY easy just click on web link on web right click on it go down to copy then when get on forum open up reply right click on where want to post it and you'll see paste and put it on there! i work with severly Autistic little boy like your son!

XKX

Well it must be hard not to be able to say how you feel, or tell you what you want. so thats why he gets so cross. He doesn't sleep very well so that doesn't help..... he's always on the go

yep it must be so hard difficult being locked in your own world not being able say anything .... can't imagine how frustrating the world is for them i feel so lucky! he has plenty of energy all time that doesn't seem to burn up! yep sleeping probs common in autism! have you tried melotonin ? common autism sleep med help natural drift off to sleep seems like don't have burn out switch on energy or sleep just goes on and on! i have A.S! so i have sleep probs too! i don't go bed until early hours of morning! drives me mad crazy!

Yes he's been on Melatonin 10mg for over a year some times it helps depends if i can get him to lay down...gets him to sleep but doesn't keep him asleep he wakes up during the night... I have a older son with Aspergers he's nearly 20 He doesn't sleep that great either.

He lives with his dad now he find Dylan difficult Tom my older son doesn't like loud ..and Dylan is very loud. he was 9 when he got diagnosed. he gets by ok now he is older.. he goes to college doing art he has buddies that help him at college they help him to and from classes then he get some support from a learning mentor. he is very funny you can watch him and his brother on youtube. they do comedy he plays a hunch back called farquard. you can see him on youtube faquards day out or Tom and josh meet the shadow.

Welcome, Rachel. Sorry to hear about your son's speech therapy. Sadly I think we're going to hear more of this kind of thing as funding cuts continue to be made. Does your son have a Statement?

K x