missyj

Shaky Inside

My son is 6 years old and has aspergers. He has started to explain that he has been getting this shakey feeling inside which in his words says it comes from nowhere even when he is feeling happy. Sometimes he says he can't ignore it and then he starts to feel scared and freaksout, crying and screaming and becomes very frightened. Is this just the anxiety which is associated with aspergers? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

yeh i get this shakey feeling inside it's overwhelming emotional state seems sudden it hits you personally i think MH connected/linked so maybe anxiety /depression related? best way to express this physical is screaming and crying show you how he feels inside of him!

XKLX

I remember the shakey feeling very well, and have done, up until very recently. I knew that I would rather be outside the body, than inside the body experiencing it. My mind would try to run away from the body, and it's taken a long time for my mind to relax, and feel comfortable in my body.

I think that the shakey feeling is induced by hormones from the anxiety. Anxiety is a natural response by any person (or animal) to what is a percieved threat. It seems that NTs have a greater awareness of it being anxiety, and therefore accept it. This helps the anxiety to dissipate. For an indivual with AS however, the anxiety is an unknown, highly confusing, quantity. It is something which takes over the being, and there seems no logical way of dismissing it, or even reducing it. The harder the mind works to resolve it, the more the anxiety increases. What happens is that after a while, the anxiety itself becomes a percieved threat, and a negative cycle ensues.

I personally, forced myself to meditate as the shakey feeling took over, and tried, and tried to surrender to it. To sit in my body and let the fear take over. Gradually, the anxiety loses its power. This was when I was in my thirties. How do you explain this to a 6 year old? I really don't know. From this forum, I'm learning that for parents of kids with AS, life is very tough for them aswell.

I know I like logical explanations of things. Talking about "feelings" does not make a lot of sense. However, understanding a machine that uses hormones to communicate to itself, continually running diagnostics, and that sometimes these malfunction, was a lot easier to understand. Maybe using diagrams of the body and stuff, might help de-mystify things for him.