billycraig

Hello

Hi everyone, my names Billy and I'm 35 in a few weeks. I've signed up to basically put myself at ease a little. I'm having an assessment next week for asperger's and am getting a little nervous about the process/outcome. I've always been aware of living my life differently and being a bit of a loner that is obsessed with knowing all I can about my topics (nutrition mainly). I've struggled with employment as I end up being alienated eventually and struggle when work life changes (which frequently happens in modern businesses which restructure all the time).

I've adapted my life and lived, worked and did everything alone which keeps me happy. However recently I've taken a big decision and now am married which is what I wanted. I'm now suffering at times from changes to my routine, diet (restaurants, family meals), overload etc and get withdrawn so am having the assessment to know for sure and then help myself understand what I can and can't do to live a more flexibly and let everyone know that I may need to withdraw form time to time...

My assessment is in Sheffield so if anyone has any advice or experience to share with me it would be a great help to my anxiety.

Looking forward to reading more on the various forums.

Welcome to the forum Billy :)

I was diagnosed when I was 41...and I've been married for ever :lol:

Bid :)

Thanks Bid. Have always disappeared in relationships in the past and have been unable to live with anyone before. Been living with my wife for over 2 years now and we got married at the end of last year and I just want to make sure I keep making the progress I already have and that we understand when I have a bad day. :rolleyes:

Hi Billy and welcome.

I'm 30 and I'm having an assessment on Thursday *bites nails*. I think the only reason my relationship has survived so long is because we have known each other since we were 11 and he knew what he was letting himself in for ;)

(My 3 year old has just demanded a bunny! :robbie: )

Hi Billy and welcome.

I'm 30 and I'm having an assessment on Thursday *bites nails*. I think the only reason my relationship has survived so long is because we have known each other since we were 11 and he knew what he was letting himself in for ;)

(My 3 year old has just demanded a bunny! :robbie: )

Hi,

How did your assessment go? I had mine yesterday and despite all my fears it was actually a pleasant experience. He said that I do have Asperger's and that I've recently made some positive progress and it was good that I was wanting to understand myself and hopefully learn to live less rigidly whilst also informing those around me about why I do what I do. Never thought I'd want diagnosing with anything but the relief I felt when he answered all the questions I've always had about myself was great and its nice to know I'm not alone in my world like I once though I was.

Got a rabbit here as well, she's 10 years old next week. :robbie:

My assessment is tomorrow and although i'm still nervous reading about the positive feedback from those who've been through has gone some way toward alleviating the stress somewhat. The main concern is the fact it's with the CMHT nearby, it's new, the people are new and i find it all hard to cope with.

Hi Billy,

Glad your assessment has brought you some answers :)

Must be a big relief to you.

Huge relief thanks. I have a sense of knowing myself today and am ready to learn more. Did a module (by chance) at university on Asperger's, Autism and ADHD which is what caused me to seek an assessment. Really keen to learn more now.

My assessment is tomorrow and although i'm still nervous reading about the positive feedback from those who've been through has gone some way toward alleviating the stress somewhat. The main concern is the fact it's with the CMHT nearby, it's new, the people are new and i find it all hard to cope with.

Archie,

Can't really comment on yours. Mine was via a private clinic with the assessment funded by my university. I can honestly say it was more relaxed than I expected it to be. Felt more like a therapy session and that he was just trying to listen and understand rather than trip me up.

Hope it goes well for you.