Sign in to follow this  
kerryt84

Diagnosis at last!

Hi everyone,

I had my second AS assessment appointment today and the psychologist has said he is officially diagnosing me with AS. I feel so relieved that I wasn't imagining it all this time. I know it's a cliche but my life finally makes some sense.

Is it true that you have to tell the DVLA about an Asperger's diagnosis? Also is there anyone else you legally have to tell?

I feel like my journey is just beginning...

Kerry

COngratulations :)

Is great to have some answers at last.

You are supposed to tell the DVLA if you have AS - well, only if you do actually have a driving licence. I have not done this, so I'd be interested to hear what happens if you do.

I don't think there is anyone else you need to tell. If you have been diagnosed privately they may not contact your GP with your diagnosis. Mine did not. I sent a copy of the report to my GP. It's not a legal requirement though.

Congratulations - I got my diagnosis last week :)

As far as the DVLA are concerned, her is a quote from their website:

Aspergers syndrome - does not affect your driving

If aspergers syndrome does not affect your driving - you do not need to tell DVLA.

Aspergers syndrome - affects your driving

If aspergers syndrome does affect your driving - you will need to tell DVLA.

Unsure whether aspergers syndrome affects your driving

If you are unsure whether aspergers syndrome affects your driving - you will need to check with your doctor or consultant who will be able to advise you.

Congratulations - I got my diagnosis last week :)

As far as the DVLA are concerned, her is a quote from their website:

Aspergers syndrome - does not affect your driving

If aspergers syndrome does not affect your driving - you do not need to tell DVLA.

Aspergers syndrome - affects your driving

If aspergers syndrome does affect your driving - you will need to tell DVLA.

Unsure whether aspergers syndrome affects your driving

If you are unsure whether aspergers syndrome affects your driving - you will need to check with your doctor or consultant who will be able to advise you.

Thanks for that! I never contacted them because I had been driving for years before I receivd my dx, but always had a little worry at the back of my mind that I should.

Hurrah!

Bid :)

Thanks RainbowsButterflies. I'm glad about that. It doesn't affect my driving so I won't need to say anything. It wasn't a private diagnosis so I'm guessing they will pass the report to my GP. Still feeling on top of the world!