Sign in to follow this  
pradeep

sound therapy

I have very recently had my 16 year old son assessed at the Sound Learning Centre in London.He is struggling at school with sensory issues and finds the classroom a battlefield;the centre made a detailed analysis of his hearing and vision and said their treatment was either mildly effective or dramatically made a difference to most people,through light and/or auditory therapy.Has any one on the forum had any experience of this centre or any other like it,and what were the results ? Any feedback much appreciated,thanks.

Don't really know very much about this, but looking at the website of the clinic you mention it sounds a lot like 'integrated listening' which there was a post about a few weeks ago. I posted in the original thread concerned about the fact that it seems you can train as an 'integrated listening therapist' via a one day work shop (or even distance learn it over the internet in a couple of sessions) and get fully qualified to (pyramid?) sell very expensive 'listening systems' (basically an ipod and some seinheiser headphones with some 'special' music Mp3's)... I just had a look for the original post of mine but it seems to have disappeared - how odd! :wacko:

Found this on Auditory Integration - which is the therapy the clinic you mention seem to be promoting:

http://autism.about.com/od/alternativetreatmens/a/AITOverview.htm

I'd pay particular attentions to these bits:

Why do parents do it? The reasons are simple: AIT practitioners claim to have actually cured children of autism through this process.
(my italics)

Now, the $64,000 question: Does AIT really work?

Of course, there are plenty of people who will tell you that it does - and that their child improved tremendously as a result of AIT. The research, however, is contradictory: Some studies suggest great benefits from AIT while others suggest absolutely no benefits and even some negative side effects (hearing issues).

cynical ol' me - I'm guessing the 'plenty of people who will tell you it does' are the people selling the systems...

In summary: Like many autism treatments, AIT has its avid supporters and its equally determined detractors. Studies of AIT's efficacy are inconclusive. The price of treatment can be high, and the process can be grueling. Still, many parent will choose to try AIT, feeling that they don't want to leave any stone unturned in their child's treatment.
My italics again, but in a nutshell, whatever the potential benefits (or otherwise) of treatments like this there are thousands of people out there who would be willing to exploit those parents who feel desperate enough to 'leave no stone unturned'.

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD

Hi Rainbow -

I've just posted on this in the techie section, because only part of the thread is there...

I had a jump around the net to look at ILS and posted about the one day training (or almost as short 'distance' course) taken by therapists to get 'acredited' and some other stuff too.

In a nutshell this appears to be a hugely expensive, unproven (other than by anecdotal evidence)therapy and anyone who pays a fee and attends a seminar will be considered a trained therapist who can then market themselves and sell the product on.

If I've got that wrong, then I apologise, but I did look at 'official' sites and that does seem to be what's on offer. They do say it's for 'professionals' but right at the bottom of the bullet list of professional 'types' they include 'teachers' and:

•Other therapists and health care providers
, which is basically anyone...

Of course, I don't know anything of ILS or AIT - I'm just quoting from the net and - in the case of ILS - direct from the horses mouth.

L&P

BD