eco88 or joe

Can one be borderline between positive and negative diagnosis of HFA?

Hi everyone, does anybody have any thoughts whether the boundary between having Higher-functiong Asperger's syndrome and not, can be a very blurred boundary. I'm starting to believe that many people, for instance relatives of those with HFA, can only be inconclusively diagnosed for HFA.

What do you all think? :) Maybe this inconclusive situation is very widespread, and there are many people just on the negative side of a HFA diagnosis.

Edited by eco88 or joe

Yes, I do think there are people who can be borderline for a diagnosis of HFA.

There is a condition called Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which basically means a person with autistic traits who does not meet the criteria for a diagnosis of ASD. It's also sometimes called autistic traits or atypical autism.

In these situations I think it's important to consider the extent of the person's difficulties and whether a diagnosis will bring them any advantages such as peace of mind or access to support services.

There is a condition called Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which basically means a person with autistic traits who does not meet the criteria for a diagnosis of ASD. It's also sometimes called autistic traits or atypical autism.

I thought autism was classed as a pervasive development disorder?

~ Mel ~

^^^Yes you're exactly right Oxgirl.

"The diagnostic category pervasive developmental disorders (PDD), as opposed to specific developmental disorders (SDD), refers to a group of five disorders characterized by delays in the development of multiple basic functions including socialization and communication that have traditionally been referred to as Autism...." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_developmental_disorder

I also think what I'm quoting below is very significant

Fifty years later, it (Asperger's)was standardized as a diagnosis, but many questions remain about aspects of the disorder.For example, there is doubt about whether it is distinct from high-functioning autism (HFA);[6] partly because of this, its prevalence is not firmly established.[2] It has been proposed that the diagnosis of Asperger's be eliminated, to be replaced by a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder on a severity scale.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger%27s_Syndrome

^^^Wikipedia is pretty good for all things medical.

There is a condition called Pervasive Developmental Disorder

Autism is a PDD. I think you might mean PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified).

Thanks Mumble

Autism is a PDD. I think you might mean PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified).

Yes, I do. Whoops!